TITLE Academic Advisor/Retention Specialist - McQueary College of Health and Human Services
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1163
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director, McQueary College of Health and Human Services Academic Advisement Center/Student Success Specialist
The Academic Advisor/Retention Specialist – McQueary College of Health and Human Services (MCHHS) functions as a member of the MCHHS Student Success and Advisement Center staff by assisting MCHHS undergraduate students with the development of academic plans of study appropriate for their stated educational goals, supporting the retention efforts of the College by providing personalized student mentoring, and connecting students to appropriate University resources unique to their needs. The Academic Advisor/Retention Specialist - MCHHS assists with the summer Student Orientation, Advisement, and Registration program (SOAR) and participates in College and University recruitment events as needed. The Academic Advisor/Retention Specialist – MCHHS may also be responsible for teaching designated courses designed to orient students to the College and University as part of proactive advisement activities.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master's degree is preferred.
Experience: At least one year of full-time, professional work experience in higher education is required. Experience in academic advisement in higher education is preferred.
Skills: Strong verbal and written communications skills are required. Excellent interpersonal skills, including conflict management and working collaboratively as part of a team, are required. Computer literacy, including word processing and database management, are required. Excellent organizational and time management skills are required. Interest in and the ability to learn about the disciplines in the McQueary College of Health and Human Services is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. Extensive knowledge of the University, its requirements, and regulations is preferred.
Other: The scope of the position requires occasional weekend and evening work particularly during scheduled advisement/registration periods. Occasional travel is required to recruitment events; a valid driver’s license and proof of automobile insurance is required. This position occasionally transports recruitment materials and/or displays weighing up to twenty-five pounds to events both on and off campus; a rolling cart is available to assist with the transfer of materials from vehicle to venue. The ability to load and unload the cart and materials is required. This position sets up recruitment displays unassisted.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides academic advisement to students majoring or minoring in a discipline in the McQueary College of Health and Human Services by being knowledgeable of the academic programs, policies, and procedures unique to the College as well as the University, guiding students in academic decision-making and helping them explore the consequences of their decisions, assisting all students (not just advisees) seeking academic information about the College, and appropriately referring students to resources within the University that provide additional assistance (e.g., financial aid, testing, career services, and student employment).
2. Supports the retention efforts of the McQueary College of Health and Human Services by providing personalized mentorship to at-risk students, recommending alternatives designed to assist students’ progress towards degree completion, and teaching designated courses designed to support orientation to the College and University.
3. Facilitates the registration process for MCHHS students by assisting in planning, organizing, and presenting individual and group advisement sessions that provide information and assistance regarding degree requirements, major selection, and schedule building and explaining and enforcing the requirements for admission to the programs within the College in accordance with accreditation requirements.
4. Assists with the summer Student Orientation, Advisement, and Registration (SOAR) program by advising individual students on course selection and determining how approved transfer credit applies towards a degree in one of the disciplines in MCHHS.
5. Ensures the effectiveness of the advising process by maintaining advisee files, regularly reviewing advisees’ academic records for accuracy, and documenting details of academic recommendations using electronic advising notes.
6. Promotes the advisor-advisee relationship by effectively using the various tools of communication, including email, telephone, and face-to-face meetings.
7. Assists transfer students by providing the information and resources necessary to support a successful transition to the University and McQueary College of Health and Human Services.
8. Assists MCHHS students develop plans for degree completion by using resources available through the electronic degree audit and student educational planner software.
9. Meets regularly with MCHHS Advisement Center colleagues to discuss curricular updates and works closely with the Director, MCHHS Academic Advisement Center/Student Success Specialist to facilitate student transition to departments for advisement upon admission to a degree program.
10. Participates in on-campus and off-campus recruitment events, as requested.
11. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
12. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses, and maintains professional certification and/or memberships as required by the Director, MCHHS Academic Advisement Center/Student Success Specialist.
13. Contributes to the overall success of the McQueary College of Health and Human Services by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Academic Advisor/Retention Specialist – MCHHS is supervised by the Director, MCHHS Academic Advisement Center/Student Success Specialist.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED FEBRUARY 2021