TITLE Transfer Advisor
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1146
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Associate Director, Academic Advisement Center
The Transfer Advisor provides academic advice to Missouri State University transfer students and prospective transfer students. The Transfer Advisor maintains knowledge of transfer articulation agreements and transfer requirements and state regulations and collaborates with other Missouri State University departments involved with transfer students and transfer student issues.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Master’s degree is required.
Experience: At least two years’ work experience in higher education is required, which includes experience in college or university admission, advisement, and/or related student services or academic areas. Experience with federal, state, and higher education policies and procedures is required. Experience working with transfer students from community colleges and four-year universities is preferred.
Skills: Effective verbal and written communication skills interpersonal skills (particularly in working with a diverse student population), and organizational skills are required. A working knowledge of various computer applications is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: The scope of the position occasionally requires work in the evenings and on weekends, especially during transfer fairs and recruitment events. Occasional overnight travel is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Ensures a smooth transition for transfer students enrolling at Missouri State University by meeting individually with incoming transfer students and providing them with general orientation information, providing initial advisement and registration for transfer students, and continuing to advise all undeclared/exploratory major transfer students until a major is declared.
2. Assists prospective transfer students by meeting with them individually and discussing course choices at their home institution and providing pre-matriculation advising both at Missouri State University, at area community colleges, and on the web.
3. Serves as an information resource to students, faculty, and staff by maintaining knowledge of transfer articulation agreements and other transfer requirements and regulations, and assisting the Associate Director, Academic and Transfer Advising in providing appropriate training and information for academic advisors across campus and at sending institutions.
4. Assists with the development and implementation of CORE 42 and Missouri Reverse Transfer (MRT) in conjunction with the Office of the Registrar and Office of Admissions, works cooperatively with the transfer articulation office to assist in the reevaluation of transfer degrees and general education coursework.
5. Contributes to the development of websites, publications, and other resources for transfer students.
6. Collaborates with New Student and Family Programs in developing, maintaining, and administering orientation opportunities for transfer students.
7. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
8. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Associate Director, Academic Advisement Center.
9. Contributes to the overall success of the Academic Advisement Center and the division of Student Development and Public Affairs by performing all other duties and responsibilities assigned.
The Transfer Advisor is supervised by the Director of the Advisement Center and generally does not supervise others.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED SEPTEMBER 2019