TITLE Academic Advisor
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1145
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director, Academic Advising and Transfer Center
The Academic Advisor assists undeclared and interdisciplinary students in the development of academic schedules appropriate for their stated educational goals, directs students to University resources that provide assistance in career planning and academic success, and guides undeclared students in the selection of an academic program.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Master's degree is required.
Experience: At least one year of high school or higher education work experience in which a thorough knowledge of academic programs was required. Academic advising experience is preferred, where knowledge of federal, state, and higher education policies and procedures has been gained. Teaching experience is preferred.
Skills: Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills (particularly in working with a diverse student population), organizational and management skills are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. A working knowledge of various computer applications is required; experience with database applications is preferred.
Other: The scope of the position minimally requires work in the evenings and on weekends.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides an essential student service of academic advisement by being knowledgeable of academic policies and procedures, unique to Missouri State University, that facilitate the advisement process and assist assigned students in the development of academic schedules appropriate for the stated educational goals of students; guiding students in decision-making and learning how to accept responsibility for their decisions; assisting all students (not just advisees) seeking academic information; assisting undeclared students in the selection of academic majors; and directing students to resources within the University that provide assistance in making career and academic major choices.
2. Participates in activities and programs that recruit and support interdisciplinary majors and/or advise interdisciplinary majors, helps select appropriate academic schedules for their stated academic goals and guides these students to resources for academic success and preparation for post-graduation goals. Works cooperatively with the Office of the Registrar in preparing general studies majors for graduation.
3. Ensures the effectiveness of the advising process by maintaining electronic advising notes for all assigned advisees and using information in the student database system to advise students appropriately.
4. Supports the Student Orientation and Registration (SOAR) Program regarding orientation and registration activities and providing SOAR participants with instructions and pertinent information related to the orientation and matriculation of all new students.
5. Assists first-year students in the transition to university life by teaching and/or participating in appropriate courses or the student success course, GEP 101 (First Year Foundation) which includes topics such as time management, study skills, available campus resources, career exploration, and other topics/issues affecting first-year students or other appropriate courses.
6. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
7. Maintains competency and professional currency through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the supervisor.
8. Supports advisor training and development initiatives of the Academic Advising and Transfer Center.
9. Contributes to the overall success of the Academic Advising and Transfer Center by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Academic Advisor is supervised by the Director, Academic Advising and Transfer Center and generally exercises no supervision of others.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED AUGUST 2021