TITLE Education Abroad Advisor
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1144
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director of Office of Education Abroad
The Education Abroad Advisor advises students regarding Education Abroad opportunities and provides related program support with the goal of developing diverse, culturally competent students prepared to engage in today’s global society. The Education Abroad Advisor contributes to an inclusive environment for all students and encourages students of all identities and backgrounds to participate in education abroad.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor’s degree is required. A Master’s degree is preferred.
Experience: Work experience in an education abroad office, experience in student or academic advising, a semester of work or living abroad, or a semester of Education Abroad experience is required. Experience with marketing and communications is required. Demonstrated experience excelling in a team-oriented environment is required.
Skills: The ability to demonstrate a thorough understanding of education abroad and exchange programs is required. A demonstrated commitment to and experience with diversity, inclusion, and equity work. Respect for individuals of other cultures is required. Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail is required. The ability to build relationships with campus partners to increase outreach to underserved populations is required. Excellent communication skills, including public speaking and computer proficiency, are required. The ability to prioritize workload and adapt to changing demands and priorities is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. The ability to speak a second language is preferred.
Other: Occasional evening and weekend work is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Supports Missouri State University’s Public Affairs mission to develop educated persons by facilitating academic global engagement experiences.
2. Advises students through each phase of the education abroad process.
3. Develops and maintains major advising pages through collaboration with college academic advisors to gain a thorough understanding of the degree programs and their requirements, as well as become familiar with education abroad opportunities that could satisfy those requirements.
4. Serves as the primary contact for affiliate program providers, reciprocal exchange partners, and external scholarship organizations.
5. Facilitates Education Abroad events.
6. Maintains communication with education abroad students and supervises social media content.
7. Collaborates with the Office of Education Abroad director on marketing strategy.
8. Develops an Education Abroad alumni initiative to drive outreach, foster alumni support, and generate a culture of giving back.
9. Maintains Terra Dotta software, including portfolio management, updating process elements, launching the application cycle, and administrative functions.
10. Prepares reports, including but not limited to, annual, college, and scholarship.
11. Manages financial tasks, i.e., scholarships, exchange balances, and budget worksheets.
12. Administers the education abroad pre-approval transfer credit process, student disciplinary checks, and supervises insurance enrollment.
13. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
14. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Director of Education Abroad.
15. Helps to ensure the success of Education Abroad by performing all other duties assigned by the Director of the Office of Education Abroad.
The Education Abroad Advisor is supervised by the Director of the Office of Education Abroad and supervises graduate assistants and student workers.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED OCTOBER 2020