TITLE Academic Advisor-Marketing and Recruitment Specialist
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1143
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Department Head, Hospitality Leadership
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Dean, College of Natural and Applied Sciences
The Academic Advisor/Marketing and Recruitment Specialist for the Department of Hospitality Leadership assists both newly declared and continuing Hospitality Leadership majors with the development of academic schedules, visits with prospective students, meets with those students interested in changing their majors to Hospitality Leadership, and serves as SOAR advisor for the Hospitality Leadership department. The Academic Advisor/Marketing and Recruitment Specialist helps to achieve the departmental enrollment and recruitment goals and objectives by establishing and maintaining effective communication with targeted high schools and community colleges and working with the Hospitality Leadership Student Ambassadors to visit at least ten high schools and community colleges each academic year. The Academic Advisor/Marketing and Recruitment Specialist maintains the Department of Hospitality Leadership website, coordinates the development of collateral and advising materials, manages social media for the department, and assists with departmental marketing initiatives including press releases and events.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor's degree is required.
Experience: At least one year of experience in the hospitality industry or one year experience in recruitment, marketing, public relations, and/or advisement at the university/college level is required.
Skills: Excellent interpersonal skills are required. Strong verbal and written communication skills are required. The ability to work effectively with a diverse student population is required. Computer literacy is required.
Other: The scope of this position requires occasional overnight travel and the ability to lift and carry materials and equipment of awkward shape weighing up to 40 pounds. The position requires standing for long periods of time at trade shows, presentations, and job fairs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Advises Hospitality Leadership undergraduate students by assisting them in the development of academic schedules appropriate for their stated educational goals.
2. Advises transfer students regarding transfer course equivalencies and the development of academic schedules.
3. Meets with prospective students on an individual basis throughout the year.
4. Serves as the Hospitality Leadership advisor for Student Orientation and Registration (SOAR) every summer, conducting both the advising session for students and parents and conducting individual academic advising.
5. Contributes to regional and local awareness of the Department of Hospitality Leadership by making at least ten informational presentations that are preapproved by the department head each academic year, along with the Student Ambassadors, to high schools and community colleges.
6. Represents the department at various all-campus fairs and recruiting events including, but not limited to, the Majors Fair, New Student Festival, Spring and Fall Showcases.
7. Facilitates job placement of current and graduating students by working with potential employers and posting all positions through social media.
8. Manages the department’s social media initiatives including, but not limited to, Google+, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
9. Develops and maintains departmental marketing and academic collateral materials.
10. Writes at least five press releases for the department head approval each academic year.
11. Serves as Webmaster for the department’s webpage and attends WebPress training seminars.
12. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
13. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Department Head.
14. Contributes to the overall success of the Department by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Academic Advisor/Marketing and Recruitment Specialist is supervised by the Department Head.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED NOVEMBER 2016