TITLE Coordinator, Transfer Initiatives
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1133
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director, Academic Advising and Transfer Center
The Coordinator, Transfer Initiatives, administers advising for transfer students with undeclared majors at Missouri State University. The Coordinator, Transfer Initiatives chairs the campus-wide transfer advising committee, leads transfer advisor training and development for those involved in advising transfer students, and serves as a source of advising information for faculty and staff advisors across campus who work with transfer students. The Coordinator, Transfer Initiatives assists the Director, Academic Advising and Transfer Center, in program planning and administration of the Academic Advising and Transfer Center, including aspects of the campus-wide advisor training and development program and assessment of programs for transfer students. The Coordinator, Transfer Initiatives carries an advising load of undeclared majors and assists assigned students in the development of academic schedules appropriate for their stated educational goals, guides undeclared students in the selection of academic majors, and directs students to resources within the University that help in making career and academic major choices, as appropriate.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Master’s degree is required.
Experience: At least three years of academic advising experience is required, where knowledge of federal state, and higher education policies and procedures has been gained. Experience working with transfer students is required. Experience with advisor training and development programs is preferred. Teaching experience is preferred. Extensive knowledge of the University, its academic programs, requirements, and regulations is preferred.
Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills (particularly in working with a diverse student population), and organizational and management skills are required. The ability to work effectively with faculty members across campus is required. A working knowledge of various computer applications and database applications is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: The scope of the position occasionally requires work in the evenings and on weekends. Some travel is necessary to meet with prospective transfer students and advisors at area community colleges; a valid driver’s license is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides the essential student service of academic advisement by being knowledgeable of academic policies and procedures unique to Missouri State University that facilitate the advisement process, assists assigned students in the development of academic schedules appropriate for the stated educational goals of students, guides students in decision-making and learning how to accept responsibility for their decisions, assists students seeking academic information, assists new and transfer undeclared majors, and general studies majors in planning academic majors, and directs students to resources within the University that provide assistance in making career and academic major choices.
2. Ensures the effectiveness of the advising process by maintaining electronic advising notes for all advisees and using information in the Banner system to advise students appropriately.
3. Works cooperatively with the Admissions Office, particularly the Assistant Director, Admissions – Transfer Coordinator, publishes material of interest to transfer students, communicates with college representatives regarding the transferability of courses, and works as a member of the Academic Advising and Transfer Center staff.
4. Helps to ensure the success of the Academic Advising and Transfer Center by assisting the Director as needed.
5. Assists in ensuring the success of academic advising across campus by facilitating and directing assigned advisor training and development programs.
6. Assists prospective transfer students by meeting with them individually and discussing course choices at their home institution and providing pre-matriculation advising at Missouri State University, area community colleges, and on the web.
7. Maintains the University transfer advisor list and communicates with the transfer advising community on a regular basis.
8. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
9. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development conferences, and attending training and/or courses required by the supervisor.
10. Contributes to the overall success of the Academic Advising and Transfer Center by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Coordinator, Transfer Initiatives is supervised by the Director of the Academic Advising and Transfer Center.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JANUARY 2022