TITLE Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs-West Plains
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1129
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Dean of Academic Affairs
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Chancellor
The Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs is part of the leadership team for academic affairs and provides support to the Dean in the operation of academic affairs. Areas of responsibility include community outreach, partnership development, supervision, and management of off-site and special programs. The Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs works with the Dean in the management of accreditation, assessment, and strategic planning. The Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs supervises institutional research activities which provide information to support institutional planning, policy formation, and decision making.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Master’s degree is required.
Experience: At least three years of progressively responsible leadership experience in higher education, including at least two years of supervisory experience, is required. Experience with accreditation processes, institutional research, assessment, and strategic planning is preferred. Experience working in a diverse environment is preferred.
Skills: Strong verbal and written communication skills are required. The ability to manage, track, and execute multiple projects simultaneously is required. The ability to project a strong positive image of the University to many constituencies both on- and off-campus is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. Proven analytical skills are preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Helps to ensure the achievement of the mission of Missouri State University-West Plains by assisting the Dean and other academic administrators in the operation of the Office of Academic Affairs.
2. Develops and directs the implementation of educational initiatives that can be adapted to the needs of various communities within the service area of the Missouri State University-West Plains, including conducting market research and developing partnerships and coordinating with other University departments to provide support services.
3. Develops, manages, and promotes off-site programs, such as dual credit and early degree program sites, the China program, and other programs, supervises site coordinators, directs program evaluation, and coordinates student learning outcomes assessment for these programs.
4. Oversees grant programs for academic affairs and supervises grant-funded staff positions as assigned in order to assure that the goals and objectives of the grants are being achieved.
5. Serves as the campus liaison with the Higher Learning Commission (HLE), Missouri Department of Higher Education, and the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE), assures compliance with requirements and regulations, and works with the campus to ensure that the campus maintains its status as a regionally accredited institution.
6. Oversees the Grizzly Tutoring Lab and coordinates with the Dean of Student Affairs to ensure the success of the Promoting Academic Success with Student Athletes (PAWS) program.
7. Provides information and data appropriate to the decision-making needs of the campus and publicizes information through a variety of documents.
8. Oversees reporting for state and national agencies, such as IPEDS, ensures that all state and federal reports are submitted in a timely fashion, and establishes and maintains a report management system.
9. Serves as the liaison with faculty committees and serves as a resources regarding the application of academic policies.
10. Fosters the continual improvement of operations and in meeting its tactical goals by coordinating the strategic planning process for academic affairs.
11. Facilitates a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
12. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the Dean of Academic Affairs.
13. Contributes to the overall success of the Office of Academic Affairs by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Assistant Dean OF Academic Affairs is supervised by the Dean of Academic Affairs and supervises professional and support staff.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED OCTOBER 2016