TITLE Regional Small Business Consultant - West Plains
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1122
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director, University/Community Programs
The Regional Small Business Consultant, Missouri Small Business Development Center at Missouri State University – West Plains is responsible for providing consultation services to small businesses in south central Missouri on a wide range of topics including strategic planning, marketing, retailing, accounting, advertising, budgeting, business planning, loan proposals, and personnel to promote growth, expansion, innovation, increased productivity, and management improvement. The Regional Small Business Consultant – West Plains develops and coordinates training seminars and classes designed to meet specific needs of small business owners and managers in the seven county region.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in Business or a related field is required. A Master’s degree in Business Administration is preferred. An equivalent combination of years of experience and education may be considered for substitution of educational requirements.
Experience: At least three years of experience is required in progressively responsible positions that include experience in management, business consultation, finance (specifically financial projections), and/or marketing. Successful experience in operating and managing a business and/or owning a small business is preferred.
Skills: Strong verbal and written communication skills including public speaking and presentation abilities are required. Excellent interpersonal skills, organizational management skills and problem solving are required. Strong computer skills in using spreadsheets, presentation software, and word processing are required. Flexibility, resiliency, and the ability to operate with minimal daily guidance is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Scope: The position requires regular travel throughout the south central Missouri region utilizing one’s own transportation. A valid driver’s license is required and automobile insurance sufficient to meet University requirements. The position also requires evening and occasional weekend work. Occasional overnight, out-of-town travel is also required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides an effective consultative service to small businesses by establishing cooperative one-on-one relationships with business owners and managers, recommending viable options, or identifying resources to address their stated and/or assessed needs, and conducting follow-up sessions with the management of participating small businesses to determine if the stated objective has been met.
2. Assists in the achievement of program initiatives and economic impact goals as established by the Small Business Administration, the Missouri Small Business Development Center’s administrative lead office and the Missouri SBDC at Missouri State University related to job creation and retention, dollar amounts of loans and investments secured, increased sales, the number of businesses acquired or started, and regular reporting to the Missouri SBDC at MSU on client and center activity as requested. Works cooperatively with the Missouri SBDC at MSU team and the Ozark Small Business Incubator to achieve these goals.
3. Assists with the development and administration of training programs to meet specific needs of small businesses in the region by identifying prospective participants, arranging for the use of facilities and equipment, assisting with the printing and distribution of brochures and printed materials, serving as a representative of the Missouri SBDC during training sessions, assisting with workshop facilitation, and collecting and processing fees and associated funds and billings. Works cooperatively with organizations around the region to develop and promote training including the Ozarks Small Business Incubator.
4. Assists in the achievement of program income goals as established by the Missouri Small Business Development Centers’ administrative office and the Missouri SBDC at Missouri State University. Helps to obtain funding for various initiatives by writing, when appropriate, grant applications to support activities associated with the Small Business Development Center and collaborates closely with the Director of University/Community Programs and the Director of Development at Missouri State University-West Plains to provide initiatives leading to private gift monies to sustain and expand the future of the Small Business Development Center.
5. Markets educational offerings and promotes the mission of the Missouri Small Business Development Center, including providing presentations, radio interviews and news releases, meeting with legislators and other leaders, and using social media and other platforms appropriate for the programs and audiences.
6. Manages funds by planning and developing the Small Business Development Center’s budget, exercising authority regarding expenditure of Center funds, including any funds obtained through grants and adhering to the grant-making body’s guidelines and regulations, as well as those of Missouri State University.
7. Establishes positive working relationships with local and regional economic development organizations, critical community governments, chambers of commerce and business stakeholders; and develops and maintains essential partnerships with local and regional organizations, governments, county extension offices, the Ozarks Small Business Incubator, and other local key leaders in an effort to effectively communicate the Missouri Small Business Development Centers’ services and value to stakeholders.
8. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
9. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Director of University/Community Programs.
10. Contributes to the overall success of the Missouri Small Business Development Center, the University/Community Programs, and Missouri State University-West Plains by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Regional Small Business Consultant, Small Business Development Center – West Plains is supervised by the Director of University/Community Programs; however, program oversight is provided by the Director of the Missouri SBDC at Missouri State University/Springfield. The Regional Consultant, Small Business Development Center – West Plains supervises a clerical worker and may direct business consultants as required.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JULY 2022