TITLE Director, TRIO - Student Support Services
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1100
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs – Multicultural Services
The Director, TRIO Student Support Services assists program participants (low income, first generation, and/or disabled) to succeed in college by helping them determine appropriate academic goals and select academic schedules appropriate for their stated academic goals. The Director, TRIO Student Support Services guides pre-majors in the selection of academic majors and directs students to resources within the University that provide assistance in identifying academic majors and career choices, as appropriate. The Director, TRIO Student Support Services manages TRIO – Student Support Services programs relating to career guidance, graduate school motivation, test preparation, disabled student issues, student leadership, tutoring, and study skills.
Continuation of this position is dependent upon external funding.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Master's degree is required.
Experience: At least two years of academic advising experience or college or university employment experience directly related to the job responsibilities of this position is required. Student services, counseling and/or teaching experience is preferred. TRIO experience is preferred.
Skills: Excellent presentation and written communication skills, interpersonal skills (particularly in working with a diverse student population), organizational, and management skills are required. A record of inclusive conduct and evidence of multicultural skills in the workplace is required. A working knowledge of various computer applications is required; experience with database applications is preferred.
Other: A valid Missouri driver’s license is required. The scope of the position occasionally requires work in the evenings and on weekends. Continuation of appointment is dependent on the renewal of the TRIO grant.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assists program participants in establishing appropriate academic and personal goals through intrusive academic advising and counseling and encourages the development of program participant study skills through the coordination and/or presentation of study skills workshops and individual study skills assistance.
2. Provides appropriate and positive academic skills and refreshment for program participants by developing, creating, and organizing workshops.
3. Provides an essential student service of academic advisement by being knowledgeable of academic policies and procedures of Missouri State University, assisting program participants in the development of academic schedules appropriate for their stated educational goals, guiding program participants in decision-making and learning how to accept responsibility for their decisions, assisting program participants seeking academic information, assisting pre-majors in the selection of academic majors, and directing program participants to resources within the University that provide assistance in making career and academic major choices.
4. Manages the TRIO Student Support Services Tutoring Program by coordinating with the Bear Claw, processing (skill-matching, recruitment and student clearance) and appointing tutors to meet requested needs, recruiting and providing orientation training for tutors, and recording and maintaining tutor files and records.
5. Facilitates personal and academic development of program participants by encouraging involvement in cultural and leadership activities both on and off campus, providing opportunities for participation in advising student leadership groups within the TRIO – Student Support Services program and motivating program participants to apply for graduate school in their chosen field of study.
6. Ensures the effectiveness of the advising process by maintaining both paper and electronic database advisee files for all assigned advisees, regularly updating advisee academic reports and counseling notes, and validating the information contained in the advisee files with the student database.
7. Oversees the maintenance and updating of the TRIO Student Support Services website.
8. Manages the Scholarship Program, assures that students are assisted with their scholarship searches and preparation, and assures current information and materials are available.
9. Manages the Graduate School Program by encouraging program participants to seek out graduate programs of interest and providing assistance in preparing for taking graduate entrance exams (GRE, LSAT, and GMAT).
10. Coordinates sophomore participation in the Career Services track which provides exposure to creating resumes, cover letters, mock interviews, academic and career assessments, dinner etiquette, etc.
11. Promotes the services available through TRIO Student Support Services by presenting programs on campus, off campus, and virtually.
12. Provides information needed for decision making by keeping current and accessible TRIO enrollment records, managing and maintaining databases, and preparing and submitting reports on the TRIO student population as requested by the grant.
13. Works with Grants and Contracts in Financial Services by maintaining current reports of budgeting expenses and debits for the staff and Financial Services and maintaining purchasing records for TRIO Programs.
14. Helps to assure that TRIO students and potential TRIO students have full information on opportunities and responsibilities related to the SSS program by preparing materials used to promote TRIO programs, such as mailings to prospective students, coordinating assessments and other tests involving participants, directing participants to the appropriate resources for academic advisement, providing basic information in response to questions about matriculation issues, and coordinating the cultural and social activities of the TRIO programs.
15. Assures the accuracy, completeness, and confidentiality of participants’ files by assembling and maintaining the components of the student file, such as the TRIO application form, assessment forms, academic record forms, etc., preparing applicant files, preparing and maintaining student files for participants, and coordinating the gathering of academic and financial need data on participants for entry into the student file.
16. Performs routine operational details affecting the department by assuming responsibility for secretarial, clerical, and office management functions and making administrative decisions within established guidelines and policy.
17. Helps to ensure the success of the TRIO student tutoring program by monitoring tutoring requests, hiring appropriate tutors, managing the online tutoring and test-prep program, and preparing and managing compensation for tutors.
18. Helps to ensure that potential TRIO students have full information on opportunities and responsibilities related to the SSS program through the interview process once their application has been received.
19. Facilitates awareness of the TRIO programs by marketing the program and promoting program services through informational presentations to faculty, staff, prospective students from the MSU population and transfer students, and/or by distributing program literature at student festivals, strategic locations across campus, and elsewhere as appropriate.
20. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
21. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the supervisor.
22. Contributes to the overall success of the program and the University by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Director, TRIO Student Support Services is supervised by the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs-Multicultural Services and supervises full-time employees, graduate students and/or student employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED OCTOBER 2020