The Fulbright Grant

Description: The Fulbright Program is designed to give students, artists, and other professional opportunities to pursue graduate study and research in over 100 nations. It is the largest U.S. international exchange program offering opportunities for students, scholars, and professionals to undertake international graduate study, advanced research, university teaching, and teaching in elementary and secondary schools worldwide.

Dollar Value: Most grants offered in the U.S. Student Program are Full or Teaching Assistantship grants. Generally, these grant benefits wilt include:

  • Round-trip transportation to the host country
  • Maintenance for the academic year, based on living costs in the host country
  • Book and research allowances
  • Health benefits package
  • Mid-term enrichment activities in many countries or regions
  • Full or partial tuition, in most cases (see relevant Country Summary for details)
  • Language or orientation courses, where appropriate Fulbright grants are payable in local currency or U.S. dollars, depending on the country of assignment.

Number of Scholarships: Every year, Fulbright offers over 1,300 Americans granters the ability to study abroad. The Fulbright U.S. Student Program operates in more than 140 countries worldwide and grants are available in all fields of study.


  • Be a U.S. Citizen at the time of application. Permanent residents are not eligible.
  • Hold a B.A. degree or the equivalent before the start of the grant.
  • Applicants who have not earned a B.A. degree, but who have extensive professional study and/or experience in the fields in which they wish to pursue a project, may be considered.
  • In the creative and performing arts, four years of professional study and/or experience meets the eligibility requirement.
  • Be in good health. Guarantees will be required to submit a satisfactory Medical Certificate of Health from a physician.
  • Have sufficient proficiency in the written and spoken language of the host country to communicate with the people and to carry out the proposed study. This is especially important for projects in the social sciences and the humanities.

Application Procedures: Read IIE's (the sponsor of this national scholarship program) Fulbright Grants for Graduate Study and Research Abroad website for helpful information. Students who will be enrolled in the fall quarter must go through the campus nominating process. All applications materials must be submitted by the campus deadline. Applicants who have recently earned the Bachelor's degree from the UW will be given the option this year to go through the campus nominating process. Recent graduates are encouraged to take advantage of the campus nominating process. Doing so will result in constructive feedback and will put you in contact with people very familiar with the national Fulbright competition. Additionally, a campus rating form will be added to your application materials.

Deadline: October 2013


809 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017-3580

Phone: 212-984-5330

Faculty Representative:

Name: Dr. John Chuchiak, Department of History, Strong Hall 441
Phone: 417-836-5425

Frequently asked questions

What does the Fulbright Grant cover?

At a minimum, Fulbright grants provide funds for international transportation, a living stipend, a small book/research allowance, and medical insurance. Some countries will also provide tuition assistance, a small dependent's allowance, a pre-departure or in-country orientation, or other grant enhancements.

The proposed project doesn't really offer anything in the way of promoting cultural understanding (e.g. hard science projects). Would the applicant still be a competitive candidate?

Certainly, there are other ways to promote mutual and cultural understanding outside of the project. Grantees are encouraged to get involved in cultural and/or community activities, such as teaching English or American Studies, volunteering with a non-profit organization, or giving presentations to local groups or in schools. Everyone can do this no matter the nature of their projects and should address ways that engagement in the host community can occur in the proposal.

The candidate is not currently enrolled not planning to enroll in a graduate program. Are they still eligible?

Candidates do not need to be currently enrolled in a college or university to apply for a Fulbright grant nor do they have to plan on attending graduate school in the near future.

The candidate is applying for the English Teaching Assistance and not conducting a full project - how should the Statement of Proposed Study be approached?

The teaching assignment is the reason for the grant. Therefore, include any or all of the following in the Statement. "Why you would like be a language-teaching assistant abroad. Why you have chosen the particular country. How your background and academic preparation relates to the particular ETA country program and the responsibilities that you are expected to carry out. How you expect to benefit from the assignment, what use you will make of the experience upon your return to the United States."

Is a teaching certificate needed to apply?

No. Some programs do not require any teaching experience (e.g. South Korea, France, Germany). Others prefer some experience in teaching, tutoring, and/or coursework in education. Successful applicants will demonstrate an interest in teaching and language learning and be creative, innovative self-starters. Teaching assignments differ according to country, so read the summaries for specific preferences and requirements.

Could an applicant apply for both an English Teaching Assistantship and a full grant?

No. Applicants may only submit a single proposal per year, so you must choose between the English Teaching Assistantship and the full grant. Both types of grants are submitted using the same application form.

The proposed project can be done in a number of countries. How should country for which I apply be chosen?

Competitiveness within a country or region may play a role in where you may wish to apply. Choose the country that best suits the project and the one where the resources necessary for its successful completion exist. Selection committees will consider the specific reasons the candidate has stated for applying to go to a country, as well as the feasibility of the project and the academic preparation to undertake the project. Language skills may also be a factor in the selection of the country.

The applicant has a master's degree in TESOL or has been a teacher for five years.

This is a Teaching Assistantship, not a teaching position. If you have a TESOL degree and/or significant teaching experience (more than five years), you may wish to consider one of other Fulbright Teaching awards (, or programs through the Office of English Language Programs at the Department of State or a full Fulbright research grant.