Ozarks Chapter of the Missouri Archaeological Society
Welcome to the Ozarks Chapter of the Missouri Archaeological Society (MAS), hosted by the Missouri State Center for Archaeological Research. As a part of the MAS, the Chapter welcomes anyone who supports the purposes of the society, which are:
- To unite those interested in the archaeology of Missouri
- To promote cooperation among professional and amateur archaeologists
- To promote the study, investigation, and interpretation of prehistoric and historic remains in Missouri
- To provide for the dissemination of knowledge and research in archaeology and related disciplines
- To provide for the recording, preservation, and display of remains and sites in Missouri, and for the educational use of such information
- To promote a constructive public attitude toward these remains
Our members come from all walks of life, most with no formal training in archaeology.
All, however, share an interest in archaeology. We are fortunate indeed to have professional
archaeologists within Missouri State who are more than willing to share their knowledge
and experience as part of our membership.
Dues are only $5 a year. You can also join the MAS for $30 a year.
The principal activity of the Ozarks Chapter is the monthly meeting (see below). During our meetings, we have programs that are enjoyable learning experiences. We are continually showing artifacts that we've found and determining types and estimated ages. We also participate in archaeological excavations, usually under the leadership of CAR staff. We do not engage in the trade or sale of artifacts, and we encourage everyone to responsibly learn about our country's past.
Come as our guest, share our enthusiasm for archaeology, and by all means bring your artifacts for all to see and enjoy. While we encourage it, you do not need to be a member to attend our meetings.
WHEN: The first Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. The date sometimes varies due to conflicts with Missouri State events.
WHERE: Usually at the Missouri State Center for Archaeological Research, 622 South Kimbrough, Springfield (just south of Cherry Street). Park in the rear and enter from the parking lot side. The laboratory has many artifacts on display.
WHO: Contact the Center for Archaeological Research at 417-836-5363.
The Ozarks Chapter will meet on October 5, 2022 at 7 p.m.