Bears L.E.A.D. takes a holistic approach to supporting each student's transition to campus. Focus is given to creating positive social experiences while also considering the student's personal and academic needs.
The Bears LEAD staff will act as an additional point of contact for encouragement and guidance to ensure students have the support they need while transitioning to Missouri State. We want students to not only feel they belong at Missouri State and can achieve their goals, but that they have support while they're here.
The assigned advisor (Coordinator, Asst. Director, or Director) will monitor the academic success of each participant while supporting their academic/career goals. The intent is to help students identify any concerns as early as possible and intervene in a proactive way. Some interventions may include the following:
- Referrals to campus and community resources
- Study sessions/tips
- Skills training including time and financial management
- Learning about and trying out different careers
Transitioning to Missouri State is an exciting adventure that is enhanced by having social support!
Bears L.E.A.D. will support by providing the following:
- An environment to build meaningful relationships with other incoming students who are first generation or identify with a diverse background.
- Connection to student leaders, faculty, and staff who are eager to support student success.
- Access to to mentors.
- Familiarization with campus and resources offered at Missouri State.
- Exploration the Springfield community and learn where to find essential basics, entertainment, and community support.
- Participation in and promotion of cultural activities and events.
- Volunteering and social activities.
Many services are offered to support academic success at Missouri State.