Tobacco Use Policy
The purpose of this policy is to promote wellness, ensure a healthy work and educational environment, and provide guidelines for tobacco use on Missouri State University grounds and facilities. It applies to all tobacco products.
Missouri State University has for many years had a Tobacco Use/Smoking Policy that restricted smoking and the use of tobacco products on campus. Over the years, this policy has been modified with the goal of promoting the health of our campus citizens and visitors to the campus. In 2009 a number of groups on campus discussed the University Tobacco Use Policy, the health hazards contributed to tobacco use and second hand smoke, and considered potential changes to the policy. Rather than have individual groups working in parallel on this issue, the President of Missouri State University appointed one committee representing major campus constituencies to advise the administration and to make coordinated recommendations for any policy changes. The result from this Presidential Committee was a policy change following a two year interim policy period which included educational and informational campaigns and the use of campus designated smoking locations. The interim policy was designed to transition to a new Tobacco Use Policy by August 15, 2012.
- Smoking and the use of tobacco products (including cigarettes, smokeless tobacco, cigars, pipes, and other tobacco products) by students, faculty, staff and visitors are prohibited on all Missouri State University properties except as set forth herein.
- The use of smokeless tobacco is prohibited at all locations on campus.
- The use of other tobacco products (including cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and all other tobacco products) is prohibited at all times:
- In all interior spaces on the Missouri State University campus including leased facilities;
- In all University vehicles, including buses, vans, and all other University vehicles and vehicles leased by/to the University;
- In all other indoor and outdoor areas of campus not specifically identified in Subsection III.D of this policy.
- Smoking and the use of tobacco products will be allowed only at the following outdoor locations:
- Designated smoking areas outside JQH Arena, Plaster Stadium, Hammons Student Center, and Juanita K. Hammons Hall during performances or events;
- Inside of private vehicles located on University parking lots.
- The University prohibits the sale, distribution, or free sampling of tobacco products on campus.
- The University prohibits the campus-controlled advertising of tobacco products on campus except for facilities leased for performances or events.
- Littering the campus with remains of tobacco products or any other disposable product is prohibited.
- Organizers and attendees at public events, such as conferences, meetings, public lectures, social events, cultural events, and sporting events using University facilities will be required to abide by the University policy. Organizers of such events are responsible for communicating the policy to attendees and for enforcing this policy.
- Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Use Cessation Programs
Preventing smoking and increasing cessation rates to prevent heart disease and stroke shall remain a priority on the campus of Missouri State University. Leading causes of death, such as lung cancer and COPD, could become relatively uncommon in future generations if the prevalence of smoking is substantially reduced. Assistance to students, faculty and staff to overcome addiction to tobacco products is available through Taylor Health and Wellness Center via the Smoking Cessation Program.
Adherence to the policy cited above is the responsibility of all University students, faculty, staff and visitors. It is expected that all students, faculty, staff and visitors to campus will comply with this policy. Members of our campus community are empowered to respectfully inform others about the policy in an ongoing effort to enhance awareness and encourage compliance. A complaint against a student who fails to respond to a request to comply with this policy may be reported to the Dean of Students’ Office. A complaint against an employee who fails to respond to a request to comply with this policy may be reported to a dean, director, or supervisor. Refusal of University employees or students to comply with this policy may result in disciplinary action as set forth in the Employee Handbook and the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities.
For more information, please visit www.missouristate.edu/tobaccofree.