The safety and security of personnel, students, and visitors is of vital importance to Missouri State University. This guideline describes the Universities position on violence and threats of violence, including domestic violence, in University facilities and on University property.
Workplace Violence can be defined as any of the following:
- Threats, direct or implied.
- Physical conduct that results in harm to people or property.
- Possession of weapons on University property.
- Intimidating conduct or harassment that disrupts the work or educational environment or results in fear for personal safety.
- Other inappropriate and threatening behavior such as:
- Unwelcome name-calling, obscene language and other verbally abusive behavior.
- Throwing objects, regardless of the size or type of the object being thrown or whether a person is the target of a thrown object.
- Physically touching another person in an intimidating, malicious, or sexually harassing manner. By way of example, this conduct includes acts such as hitting, slapping, poking, kicking, pinching, grabbing, and pushing.
- Physically intimidating others, including such acts as obscene gestures, “getting in your face” and fist-shaking.
All employees share the responsibility to report threats or acts of violence on campus to a supervisor, department head, or to Safety & Transportation.
Faculty, staff, and Student Employees:
- Be familiar with the Missouri State University Workplace Violence Procedures.
- Immediately report violations of these procedures to an appropriate administrator (e.g. immediate supervisor, department head, Safety & Transportation or Office of Human Resources).
- Any individual who is the victim of domestic violence, or who believe he or she may be the victim of violence, is encouraged to promptly notify an appropriate administrator and the Springfield Police Department.
- All individuals who apply for or obtain a protective or restraining order which lists University locations as being protected areas, must provide to the appropriate administrator and the Director of Safety & Transportation a copy of the petition and declarations used to seek the order, a copy of any temporarily protective or restraining order which is granted, and a copy of any protective or restraining order which is made permanent. Confidentiality will be maintained to the extent possible.