The Sustainability Advisory Committee meets the first Tuesday of every month in Carrington 203.
- Develop recommendations for new sustainability initiatives and for improving current sustainability initiatives.
- Develop realistic strategies to increase our use of renewable energy so that the University becomes less dependent on coal over time, keeping in mind that recommendations for increasing the use of renewable energy must come with an estimated funding cost.
- Develop strategies to promote sustainability initiatives across our state and region.
- Research what our peer universities and sister universities in Missouri are doing related to sustainability initiatives.
- Matt Morris, Vice President for Administrative Services, Co-Chair
- Tammy Jahnke, Dean for College of Natural and Applied Science, Co-Chair
- Jordan Schanda, Sustainability Coordinator
- Libby Cantrell, President of Students for a Sustainable Future
- Bill Cheek, Faculty Emeritus
- Adam Coffman, President, Student Government Association
- Jennifer Cox, Assistant to the Vice President for Administrative Services
Gabe Crain, Student Government Association-Sustainability Director
- Tyree Davis, SGA/Board of Governors’ Student Governor
- Teresa Frederick, Assistant Director Res. Life Housing and Dining-Fac & Op
- Tiffany Frey*, Executive Director for James River Basin Partnership
- Terrel Gallaway, Professor of Economics
- Janice Greene, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
- Tony Hein, Resident District Manager, Chartwells Residential Dining Office
Alex Johnson, Director of Community Involvement & Service
Cathy Jordan, Project Manager/Architect for Planning, Design and Construction
Pilar Karlen, Energy Manager
- Mike Klem, Coordinator Business and Support Services, Agriculture
Chris Klenke**, Chief Sustainability Commissioner, Student Government Association
- Mike Kromrey, Executive Director, Watershed Committee of the Ozarks
- Thomas Lane, Assistant V.P. Student Life-Director PSU
- Barbara Lucks, Citizen Volunteer
- Tina McManus, Controller, Financial Services
- Cara Shaefer, Director, Energy Management/Conservation – City Utilities
- David Vaughan, Director Environmental Management, Environmental Health & Safety
Emily Yeap, Public Relations Specialist, University Communications
*Brent Stock will attend in Tiffany Frey’s absence representing James River Basin Partnership.
**Brooke Widmar will attend in Chris Klenke’s absence representing Sustainability Commission.
In support of the Sustainability Vision Statement, the Sustainability Advisory Committee is comprised of the following subcommittees, corresponding to the major STARS categories:
- Academics Subcommittee
- Engagement Subcommittee
- Operations Subcommittee, and
- Planning and Administration Subcommittee.
The charge for each of these subcommittees is to:
- Review/ evaluate the corresponding major STARS category to identify opportunities to integrate sustainability within the subcommittee focus area.
- Develop and submit recommendations for goals, and strategies to achieve those goals to the Sustainability Advisory Committee.
- Annually, goals & strategies will be submitted at the October meetings (initial year goal submission schedule will be determined by Sustainability Advisory Committee consensus).
- Work with units, groups or individuals within the subcommittee focus area to implement projects or initiatives toward approved sustainability goals.
- Evaluate progress in maintaining existing sustainability goals (from the University’s 2015 STARS submittal).
- Reporting schedule:
- Verbal reports will be provided at Sustainability Advisory Committee meetings
- An annual written summary report will be provided at the April Sustainability Advisory Committee meetings
Focus areas include: opportunities to educate students through education programs and courses that address sustainability and to increase research on sustainability topics.
Academics Subcommittee Membership 2016-2017
- W.D Blackmon, English
- Terrel Gallaway, Economics
- Katlyn Gardner, Eco-Reps
- Janice Greene, Biology
- Bernard Kitheka, Kinesiology
- Carol Miller, Finance and General Business
- Bob Pavlowsky, Geography Geology and Planning
- Alexander Wait, Biology
- Alexandra Wolf, Student
Focus areas include: opportunities to integrate sustainability into the campus culture through public engagement, community partnerships and service.
Engagement Subcommittee Membership 2016-2017
- Libby Cantrell, Students for a Sustainable Future
- Abbe Ehlers, Hospitality and Restaurant Administration
- Alex Johnson, Community Involvement and Service
- Mike Kromrey, Watershed Committee of the Ozarks
- Thomas Lane, Student Life/Dean of Students
- Jessica Silvey, Student Development and Public Affairs
- Indigo Tran, Student
- Nicole Young, Dining Services
Focus areas include: opportunities to reduce greenhouse gas and air emissions; building performance improvement; sustainable food systems; energy conservation and efficiency/renewable energy sources; sustainable grounds maintenance practices; sustainability decisions in purchasing; sustainable transportation systems; moving toward zero waste by reducing, reusing, recycling, and composting; and water quality protection and conservation.
Operations Subcommittee Membership 2016-2017
- Ben Boslaugh, Facilities Management
- Jen Cox, Administrative Services
- Kelsey Esther, Eco-Reps
- DJ Fox, Plaster Student Union
- Teresa Frederick, Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services
- Tony Hein, Dining Services
- Bob Jones, Psychology
- Cathy Jordan, Planning, Design and Construction
- Pilar Karlen, Facilities Management
- Eva Klein, Eco-Reps
- Mike Klem, College of Agriculture
- Ashley Newson, Eco-Reps
- Cara Shaefer, City Utilities
Planning and Administration Subcommitee
Focus areas include: opportunities for sustainability coordination, planning and governance; diversity and affordability; health, well-being and work and investment.
Planning and Administration Subcommittee Membership 2016-2017
- Bill Cheek, Provosts Office
- Ashley Fears, City of Springfield
- Chris Klenke, Chief Sustainability Commissioner, Student Government Association
- Barbara Lucks, Citizen Volunteer
- Tina McManus, Financial Services
- Rob Moore, Financial Aid
- Chris Stovall, Human Resources