Posthumous Degree Policy
A degree may be posthumously awarded on behalf of a deceased student if the following conditions are met.
- The student was enrolled at the University within the 12 months preceding their death.
- The student was in good academic and disciplinary standing with the University.
- Undergraduate students must have completed at least 90 credit hours toward a degree at Missouri State and made significant progress in their major.
- Graduate students must have completed at least two-thirds of the requirements toward a degree at Missouri State.
- The request was received within two years of student’s death.
Requests for exceptions to the conditions above must be approved by the Degrees Committee.
The posthumous degree must be approved by the dean of the college from which the degree is being awarded, the Provost (or designee), and the President (or designee).
The procedures for implementation of this policy will be developed and administered cooperatively by the Office of the Provost and Office of the Registrar.