Health Care Principles
It is the policy of Missouri State University to adhere to the following guidelines which address the economics of the university’s medical and dental programs:
- The university shall provide for a reserve fund that does not fall below 60 days’ payout as of December 31 of each calendar year;
- The total employee benefit plan cost and reserves shall be reported to the Board annually for the calendar year ending December 31;
- Any increases in cash contributions representing the university’s premium contribution to the health plan for medical and dental costs shall be approved by the Board;
- Should the annual costs of the medical and dental programs exceed the university and employee premiums, the university will cover such costs with one-time reserves and evaluate whether adjustments to the funding of the medical and dental programs are necessary on a go-forward basis; and
- The medical plan insurance fund shall provide funding for a wellness program that will train, educate, and provide incentives for employees to live a healthy lifestyle in an effort to reduce health care costs.