Foreign Travel

Op8.22-7 Foreign Travel

Definition: For the purpose of this policy, foreign travel is defined as travel that occurs outside of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia.

When employees travel outside of the United States for university-related business, expenses are reimbursable in accordance with procedures outlined in the travel policy. Particular care should be taken to obtain receipts for the travel expense report.

  1. Foreign travel must be approved PRIOR to traveling. The foreign travel authorization form must be completed and approved according to the criteria below:
    1. Travel associated with academic units must obtain foreign travel approval signed by their department head, dean AND the Provost, unless the travel is associated with the China Branch campus, international programs or education abroad.
    2. Travel associated with the China Branch campus, international programs or education abroad must obtain foreign travel approval signed by the vice president for research and economic development.
    3. Travel associated with other university departments must obtain foreign travel approval signed by the president.
  2. A copy of the foreign travel authorization form must be attached to the travel expense report when filed.
  3. In the event that an inoculation is listed as a required inoculation for the foreign destination according to the Center for Disease Control (, the inoculation is reimbursable.
  4. Expenses incurred in obtaining passports and visas required for university travel purposes are reimbursable. Foreign travel consultations conducted at Magers Health and Wellness Center to prepare employees for foreign travel are reimbursable.
  5. Travelers with a foreign destination may upgrade their economy class to economy plus or other similar class, but at no time will the university reimburse travelers for business or first class airfare.
  6. Business vs. Non-Business Travel

    All foreign travel should be primarily for business. If less than 25% of the time on the trip is spent on personal activities, the trip is considered entirely for business.

  7. Receipts for foreign travel:
    1. All receipts are to be converted into US dollars. The receipt is to be converted using the date that the expense occurred and the conversion rate should be printed and submitted as backup documentation. However, if an employee converts travel advance or personal funds into the country’s currency on one or more dates, then the conversion rate will be the date on which the employee converted the currency. Documentation of currency conversion must accompany the travel expense report.
    2. Credit card transactions can be used as a source for the conversion rates. The receipt requirements still remain the same.
    3. If US or foreign cash is given to an individual or business overseas for a good or service, request a written document (receipt) stating the name of their company, dates of service or purchase, the amount of the transaction along with a notation of the currency being used and that it was paid by cash. It is recommended that travelers carry preprinted receipts in the event of such an occurrence. A sample form for preprinted receipts can be found on the financial services website under “eForms”. Foreign transaction fees pertaining to credit/debit card purchases may be reimbursed after the travel is completed by submitting those amounts on the travel expense report along with credit/debit card statements.
    4. In the event that no receipt documentation can be obtained from the vendor, the employee must provide a written, signed statement stating that all related purchases did not include alcohol. Also, they must give a summary of the items purchased.