Courtesy Vehicles (Including Vehicle Allowances)
Op8.22-2 Courtesy Vehicles (Including Vehicle Allowances)
This section summarizes the procedures regarding the use of courtesy vehicles and reimbursement for allowable expenses associated with the courtesy vehicles and for staff with vehicle allowances. The Board of Governors for Missouri State University, at its sole discretion, may authorize designated employees to use courtesy vehicles leased by the Missouri State University Foundation. The Board of Governors may also grant a monthly vehicle allowance for selected staff. Only those business use expenditures in the operation of the courtesy vehicles are an appropriate University expenditure; all other personal expenditures are the responsibility of the employee operating the courtesy vehicle.
- Personal vs. Business Use of Courtesy Vehicles
- The University will reimburse expenditures for business use for courtesy vehicles as outlined elsewhere in these guidelines (see Mileage Reimbursement Rate section). An appropriate business expenditure must be incurred by an employee arising out of and performed in connection with his or her official duties on behalf of the University.
- Examples of business activities appropriate for expenditures relative to courtesy
- Driving to and from meetings held off campus (including breakfasts, luncheons, dinners) having to do with official University business and/or representing the University
- Driving to and from locations to deliver items having to do with official University business
- Driving to and from locations required to carry out official University job responsibilities
- Examples of personal activities not appropriate for expenditures relative to courtesy
- Driving to and from home to work
- Driving to the first business destination of the work day or driving from the last business destination of the work day
- Digressing from route to or from a business trip for a personal reason, i.e., shopping, running personal errands while traveling to or from a business related activity
- Operating vehicle during general personal activities, i.e., vacations, weekends, evenings, etc.
- Any driving activity that does not fulfill an official University business purpose
- Property damage insurance is provided by the University under a policy procured through the Risk Management Section of Office of Administration, Jefferson City, MO with a $500 deductible to be paid by the employee’s departmental budget. Coverage is provided for personal use of the vehicle also through the statewide policy. HOWEVER, the deductible is the employee’s responsibility if the vehicle is being used for personal use when damage occurs.
- Liability insurance is not maintained by the state, but the state is self-insured through the legal expense fund, provided funds are available, only in the course of official duty.
- For business use, Missouri statute states: Moneys in the state legal expense fund
shall be available for the payment of any claim or any amount required by any final
judgment rendered by a court of competent jurisdiction against:
- Any officer or employee of the University arising out of and performed in connection with his or her official duties on behalf of the state.
- The state of Missouri does not provide liability insurance for personal use of a vehicle. For personal use, employees assigned a courtesy vehicle are to provide minimum liability coverage in the amount of $500,000 combined single limit (CSL) and must be endorsed with Missouri State University and the Missouri State University Foundation as an additional insured.
- Operating Expenses
- Operating expenses categorized as reimbursable are those expenses incurred by the employee assigned a courtesy vehicle for business use ONLY.
- Repairs to vehicle for damage as a result of a collision when on University business will be paid for by the state insurance coverage except for the deductible. The deductible will be paid by the employee’s departmental budget, or by the employee if the vehicle was being driven on personal business.
- Authorization of Courtesy Vehicles
The Office of University Advancement will provide to Financial Services, on a quarterly basis, a list of employees who receive a courtesy vehicle and are entitled to the courtesy vehicle reimbursement rate. Employees who receive a courtesy vehicle are required to complete a mileage log. (See Op8.23 – University Provided Vehicles.)
- Vehicle Allowance
Employees provided with a vehicle allowance are reimbursed at the courtesy vehicle rate.