International Transfer Students

Op5.09-3 International Transfer Students

Transfer Admission Requirements

Missouri State encourages applicants from around the world. To apply for undergraduate admission as a transfer student, please follow these required steps:

  1. The International Student Application and Fee
    If you believe you are able to meet all requirements, we invite you to complete and return the "International Student Application" with the $50 USD application fee (non-refundable). We must receive the International application and fee before we will begin processing.

    For faster processing, all students please note: Photocopies of your application, academic records, and test scores sent by fax or express mail will be accepted initially. If you express mail the original application, the application fee and photocopies of your documents must be included. When you fax your application materials, please mail the fee, original application materials and copies of your educational documents on the same day. Official copies must arrive before registration for classes.

  2. Academic Requirements

    If you have completed secondary school and have completed less than one year of post-secondary:

    If you have completed one full year of post-secondary (minimum of 24 credit hours): You must provide transcripts for all post-secondary course work and course descriptions. You must have earned the equivalent of a 2.5 cumulative grade point average or higher on a 4.0 scale.

    Official proof of any degree, diploma, certificate and/or transcript must be submitted for your file. You must request all post-secondary institution records regardless of location or length of time attended.

    Official documents: To qualify as official, documents must be sent to the Missouri State Office of International Services directly from the issuing institution.

    Transfer credit: If you hope to receive transfer credit for university-level course work done at another institution (U.S. or non-U.S.), the Office of International Services will need syllabi or course descriptions of the completed work. We encourage you to bring these documents with you for evaluation after your arrival. However, if it is important that you be informed of the number of transfer credit hours you will receive before leaving your present location, please submit this information as early as possible.

  3. Proof of English Proficiency
    Proof of your proficiency in English is required if your primary language is not English. Persons who have completed one or more years of university level study in the U.S. may be exempt at the discretion of the International Services Office. Proof can be provided in two ways:
    1. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)*
      The TOEFL score minimum requirements are 500 paper-based for undergraduate applicants and 550 paper based for graduate applicants. You must request that original copies of these scores be sent to Missouri State directly from the Educational Testing Service. If you have a computer-based score, check here to see the equivalent paper based score: TOEFL Concordance Tables
    2. Undergraduates who have not completed the TOEFL
      Undergraduates who have not completed the TOEFL with a score of 500 paper-based are encouraged to enroll in Missouri State's English Language Institute. Please visit Missouri State's English Language Institute site to learn more about the program.
  4. U.S. Transfer Recommendation Form

    You must complete the transfer recommendation form if you are currently in the U.S. as an international student and are planning to continue your education at Missouri State. You must submit the transfer recommendation form to your current international student advisor who will mail or fax it to Missouri State International Services office. We cannot complete the I-20 Form until it is received. Be sure to sign the transfer form before submitting it to your current international student advisor.

    Download: U.S. Transfer Recommendation Form

*To register for the TOEFL or GRE see:

To register for the GMAT see:

*Information and registration forms for the tests are also available at many U.S. Embassies and Consulates, offices of the U.S. Information Agency, and offices of international education organizations, such as the Institute of International Education (IIE), the African-American Institute (AAI), and the American-Mideast Educational and Training Services (AMIDEAST).