Summer Scholarship Policy
Op5.08-20 Summer Scholarship Policy
Selected Missouri State University scholarships can be applied to summer expenses for students who intend to graduate in less than four years and/or for students who wish to fund a summer education abroad experience at the expense of a future semester scholarship.
The summer scholarship option is available only for students receiving University funded, four-year scholarships that have an annual value of more than $1,000. Those scholarships, and their value for the summer session, are listed below.
|Scholarship||Summer Session Value|
|Presidential Scholarship||$1,565 Tuition
$1,565 Room & Board*
|Board of Governors Scholarship||$1,250|
|Multicultural Leadership Scholarship||$1,250|
*The room and board allowance is awarded only to students who are living on campus or participating in an approved education abroad program.
Other guidelines are as follows:
- To be eligible to use scholarships during the summer, students must meet annual renewal criteria (hours and grade point average) at the end of the spring semester. The summer option is not available to students who are taking summer classes to meet the credit hour or GPA criteria to renew for the following fall.
- Exercising this option reduces the number of remaining semesters of eligibility by one full semester for each summer used. Because the summer value is less than the value during a full semester, this option is financially advantageous only to students who plan to graduate early.
- Students must enroll in at least six credit hours during the summer session for which a scholarship is used. Exceptions may be granted for approved education abroad programs.
- Hours earned during the summer a scholarship is awarded cannot be used to meet renewal criteria for the following academic year. For example, a Board of Governors Scholarship recipient who uses the scholarship for a given summer must earn 30 hours during the following fall and spring semesters to renew for the next academic year. The grades earned are, however, included in the student’s cumulative GPA in determining renewability.
- Students must file a request for summer scholarship form by June 1. Eligibility for the summer option will be determined after spring semester grades have been processed, and scholarship awards will be applied to students’ accounts with the first summer disbursement (typically the second week of classes).
Line of authority
Responsible administrator and office: Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management and Services
Contact person in that office: Director of Scholarships
December 7, 2015
Presidential approval: December 7, 2015