VA Education Benefits Advance
Op5.21-2 VA Education Benefits Advance
Eligible students receiving VA education benefits may receive an advance of their housing benefits through their student account with the university. The maximum amount of such advance is half the applicable regular VA monthly housing allowance for the term at issue. Each eligible student may receive only one such advance per term. Advances will not be paid to students until after the first week of classes. Advances will not be permitted after the university receives notification that the first payment of VA education benefits for the term has been issued. Students receiving advances must repay such advances (plus interest) pursuant to the terms and conditions of their student account.
- Have a VA Certificate of Eligibility on file with the university’s Office of Veteran Student Services;
- Be properly certified for VA education benefits (certification must be properly accepted by the VA) for the term in which an advance is requested;
- The student’s housing benefits have been delayed through no fault of the student, examples include but are not limited to: Government Furlough, VA Issues, university error, etc.
- Be in good academic and financial standing as determined by the university in its sole discretion; and
- Complete an application for VA education benefits advance through the Veteran Student Center.
To apply for the benefits advance, the student must complete the VA Education Benefits application in its entirety and submitted to the Oldham Family Veteran Student Center. Additional information may be requested by the Oldham Family Veteran Student Center to determine eligibility.
If approved, the Oldham Family Veteran Student Center will notify the applicant and the university’s Office of Financial Services of the decision; and the Office of Financial Services will make appropriate arrangements to issue the advance to the student’s account.
If denied, Oldham Family Veteran Student Center will notify the applicant of the decision. The applicant may appeal the decision by submitting a written appeal to the director of the Oldham Family Veteran Student Center within 14 days after receiving the decision. Requests for exceptions to the VA Education Benefits Advance policy will be considered by the director of the Oldham Family Veteran Student Center or designee. Final appeals may also be considered by a committee appointed by the director of the Oldham Family Veteran Student Center.