Change of Student Legal Information and Status

Op3.04-35 Change of Student Legal Information and Status

Students may change legal information such as name, marital status, social security number, date of birth, sex, guardianship (parent or legal guardian) or citizenship status by submitting suitable legal documentation along with the Change of Student Information form to the Office of the Registrar.

Suitable legal documentation consists of documents required by the State of Missouri to make the requested change and will vary depending on the information sought to be changed and could include, but is not limited to: driver’s license, official state ID card, Social Security card, certified copy of marriage license, court order from a court of competent jurisdiction, current passport or official proof of identity certified by the U.S. embassy abroad or by the appropriate foreign embassy in the United States.

When academic records are maintained on microfilm, the student’s name cannot be updated on the microfilm. Students who last attended Missouri State University before 1985 have microfilm records. A Change of Student Information form is available online.

Students are expected to keep addresses, phone numbers, personal email addresses, and emergency contact information up-to-date. The Change of Student Information form is not intended to update a student’s contact information or emergency contact. Updates to students’ contact information or emergency contact must be done through the Change of Student Contact Information form.

All current and previous names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses are permanently maintained as part of the student’s record.

The Office of the Registrar will be responsible for establishing and communicating the procedure for requesting a student information change.