September 26, 2007 4:00-4:45 p.m.
Members Attending: Dale Moore (Chair), Teresa Steele, Sara Clark, Dr. Wes Scroggins, Dr. Michelle Visio
Absent: Jana Estergard
Dale Moore began the meeting by welcoming everyone.
Michelle Vision informed the group that she has received back 31 responses from the surveys that were sent out to the Service job group.
The next step, the group decided, was to form focus groups, which need to be concluded by the end of October. Michelle Visio noted that ideally each focus group should have 6-8 members, and be composed of individuals from the same or similar job groups. Each group would then discuss the top 25% of the items that were indicated as important or very important in the survey by that job group. Michelle Visio volunteered her practicum class to lead the focus groups, as it will give them valuable experience.
It was then discussed how to select the members of the focus groups and how to place them into groups. The following issues/concerns/points were noted:
- Should have one group for each job group
- Need to determine what we need to find out through the focus groups – it was noted that this should be data driven
- Focus groups need to help clarify some of the answers from the survey
- Focus groups need to be a communication tool
- Should a member of the Work Life Committee be in attendance at the meeting of the focus groups? It was felt that there should be
- Should try to come up with a couple of recommendations for faculty, a couple for staff, etc.
- Faculty members should be divided so that not all were in same focus group
- Will use manpower code to help determine job class for group selection
- Should all issues be visited during group, or just top 5? It was thought that perhaps only discuss the categories that scored high or needed clarification.
- Should develop 7-8 questions by using data from top four issues
- There should be 6-8 participants per group
It was agreed by the group to meet on October 2 to check the status of the surveys that were sent out to the Service group, solidify goals for report writing and to discuss focus groups further. Michelle will include additional responses received from Service group to data already gathered and then the group can use results to formulate questions for focus groups.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:45 PM.
Executive Assistant to the Associate Vice President