1. Call to Order - A regular meeting of the Staff Senate of Missouri State University was called to order at Plaster Student Union, PSU 313 at 1:30 p.m.
2. Roll Call -
Present - Diana Garland, Steve Mills, Earle Doman, Terrill Harvey, Dennis Perry, Tami Sutton, Ben Boslaugh, Sherry Adams, Wendy Ferguson, Tara Horton, Jason Rhea, Scott Walker, Sue Alvers, Carter Allen (SGA), Norm Griffith, Dale Moore, Rhonda Ridinger (Faculty Senate), Sara Clark
Absent - Veronica Adinegara, Guy DeVault, Glen Fletcher, Phyllis Kenney, Darlene Bailey, Roger Duclos, LaDonna Hansen David Liss, Patrick Byers, Marline Faherty, Barb Jones, Thomas Norrell
Guests - Phil Nichols, Sheila Ponder, Lynn McKenzie, Greg Burris, Lisa McEowen-Levangie, Dr. Jeanne Phelps
3. Approval of Minutes - The minutes of the open, regular meeting of October 6, 2005 was approved
4. Guest Speakers - Greg Burris and Dr. Jeanne Phelps
Greg Burris, Vice President for Administrative & Information Services and Dr. Jeanne Phelps, Associate Provost attended today's Staff Senate meeting to answer questions and to discuss the compensation committee's progress. At the moment, the committee is trying to listen to everyone's concerns and look at other institution's compensation systems. There will also be a brown bag forum on November 17, 2005 in the ballroom on this issue. Mr. Burris suggested that everyone check the committee's website for updates. Dr. Nietzel is expecting a recommendation by December 15, 2005.
5. Approval of Bylaws - A motion was made, seconded and passed to approve proposed edit changes to the bylaws. These changes were discussed in 2004 but not taken forward.
6. Officers Report - Diana Garland reminded everyone about the following: Brown bag compensation forum that's to be held November 17, 2005; the Higher Learning Commission's site visit on November 7, 8, & 9; Staff Excellence Award nominations are due November 15, 2005; and the lunchtime lecture, "Code Talkers" with Dr. Bill Meadows on November 17th.
Terrill Harvey added that the bookstore is having "Bear Brigade". Customers purchase a bear and donate it to the Red Cross to give to children evacuated during Hurricane Katrina and other disasters. The bookstore is also selling Missouri State bracelets for $3 - $5. These funds will be donated to Convoy of Hope.
Diana mentioned that there will be a moment of silence on Veterans Day, November 11th, at 11:00 am. There is also a Higher Education Conference at the University Plaza next Tuesday, November 8, 2005 and the advertisement for the new Provost is out.
7. Committee Reports -
- Employee Contribution Task Force - Phil Nichols, Chair - Phil asked everyone to review the task force's recommendation for Employee Emergency Assistance. Diana said that she'd send a digital copy to everyone after the meeting.
8. New Business
Diana and Ben gave a short report on their trip to University of Missouri – Columbia to tour the new recreation center. They stated that UM's center revolves around students. Faculty and staff must pay fees in order to use the facility
The next regular meeting is at 1:30 p.m. on December 1, 2005 in Plaster Student Union Room 313.
The meeting adjourned at 2:55 p.m.
Staff Senate Secretary