May 6, 2004 Minutes

1. Call to Order - A regular meeting of the Staff Senate of Missouri State University was called to order at Plaster Student Union, Room 313 at 1:30 p.m.

2. Roll Call -

Present - Sherry Adams, Patrick Byers, Belinda Davis, LaDonna Hansen, David Liss, D. Lynn Singleton, Lisa McEowen-LeVangie, Veronica Adinegara, Sara Clark, Diana Garland, Tara Horton, Steve Mills, Scott Walker, Ben Boslaugh, Allison Crocker, Norm Griffith, Phyllis Kenney, Phil Nichols

Absent - Mike Clark, Monya McMichael, Chris Strodtman, Earle Doman, Cheryl Pawling, Lois Shufeldt, Cynthia Giacin, Marline Ritter, Tami Sutton

Guests - Jim Baker, Betty Lewis, Ron Boaz, Sheila Ponder, Governor Michael Duggan, Myril Stewart

Phil Nichols, Chairperson, presided and Betty Lewis (filling in for Tami Sutton in her absence) recorded the proceedings of the meeting.

3. Guest Speaker - Dr. Jim Baker, Assistant to the President, gave a presentation on the planning process for the new long-range plan, Daring to Excel, 2005-2010. Dr. Baker explained that the planning process is just beginning and has been broken into sections, with the section for this spring being mission, vision and goals. Feedback to Dr. Baker is welcome and can be given via email directly to Dr. Baker or via the comment section of the web site at http://www.missouristate.edu/daringtoexcel/feedback.htm. The comment section will only be active until May 10 for this first section.

4. Announcements - There were no announcements.

5. Introduction of Senators - All senators introduced themselves.

6. Approval of Minutes - The minutes of the open, regular meeting of April 1, 2004 were approved.

7. Report from the Chair - Phil Nichols - There was no report presented by the Chair at this meeting.

8. Committee Reports -

  • Budget and Priorities, Lisa McEowen-LeVangie-Chair - Lisa McEowen-LeVangie, Chair, reported that the committee will be looking at the Consumer Price Index compared to the salary increase the last few years. The figure comparison given by Financial Services is misleading.

    At the last meeting the committee discussed follow up on the health care resolution passed by the Staff Senate last year.

    The Budget & Priorities Committee has been asked by the Bylaws Committee to develop procedures for Staff Senate committees to apply for Staff Senate funds for projects.
  • Bylaws Committee, Diana Garland-Chair - Diana Garland, Chair, reported that the Bylaws Committee had met and made a few recommendations. First, the bylaws should be changed less than once a year. Secondly, all changes to the bylaws must be presented to Dr. Keiser for his approval and therefore the Staff Senate should not be making frequent changes. She also reported that there are a number of editorial changes the committee is currently reviewing.

    It was decided during the Committee's previous meeting that a treasurer is not needed, but that guidelines need to be put in place for approval of expenditures. These guidelines would not be part of the bylaws and could be changed by a majority vote of the Senate. The Budget & Priorities Committee has been asked to develop these guidelines. The Bylaws Committee suggests that individual committees should submit a budget each year for their anticipated expenses.
  • Public Affairs, Phyllis Kenney-Chair - Phyllis Kenney, Chair, reported that the committee has received a Public Affairs grant to fund the Lunch-Hour Lecture Series in the fall. Tuesday, May 5 was the last Lunch-Hour Lecture for the spring semester. Dr. Lunn spoke on the rising costs of health care. Approximately 30 - 40 people attended.

    She also reported that the Public Affairs Committee will not meet over the summer. Meetings will resume in August.
  • Veterans Committee Report, Phil Nichols-Chair - Phil Nichols, Chair reported that the committee is still working on funding for their Veteran's Day events.
  • Staff Senate Centennial Committee, Diana Garland-Chair - Diana Garland passed out a sheet of information about a clock and display case under consideration for the upcoming Centennial Project. The committee has been urged to get the items and get the display in place. Dale Moore is assisting with possible locations for the display
    case if the space next to the Human Resources Office in Carrington Hall doesn't work.
  • Health Care Committee, David Liss-Member - David Liss, Chair, reported that health care expenses started the year 37% higher this year than last. To date the overall increase is approximately 17% higher than last year. The Health Care Committee has made some recommendations for the Human Resources section of the long-range plan. The committee is also looking at an incentive-based wellness program. 
  • Faculty Senate, Norm Griffith and Allison Crocker-Staff Senate Representatives - Allison Crocker, Faculty Senate Staff Representative reported that the Faculty Senate met twice in April. Allison was unable to attend the meetings, but Norm attended one meeting. Allison did obtain the minutes from the meetings and gave a report based on those minutes. She reported that the student body president has asked the faculty to adopt a faculty evaluation that would be available to all students. A new undergrad program has been added in internal auditing. At the meeting attended by Norm, Board of Governor Phyllis Washington, spoke on issues affecting the faculty.

9. Unfinished Business - Phil appointed an ad-hoc committee to nominate people willing to serve on the Presidential Search Committee if the Board of Governors approves the Staff Senate to add an additional member. Myril Stewart chaired the committee with Tara Horton, David Liss and Tami Sutton serving as members. After putting together the criteria the committee felt the representative should possess, six individuals were presented to the Staff Senate for their consideration, with the Staff Senate being asked to vote for three. The top three, in this order were: Sara Clark, Myril Stewart and Lisa McEowen-LeVangie. Phil will draft a letter in which to submit these three names to the Board before the next Board of Governors meeting on May 13.

10. New Business - Lisa McEowen-LeVangie reported that she, along with Student Government Association President Chris Curtis, was invited to attend a meeting of the Faculty Senate Budget and Priorities Committee. Kent Kay, Associate Vice President for Finance, was the guest speaker and he provided information as to where the $2 fee increase is going in the FY05 budget. There is considerable interest in tracking of these monies because the Faculty Senate proposal for the tuition increase, which was endorsed by the Staff Senate and the Student Government Association, specifically indicated that the monies should be used for dental and medical funding of the health care plans and not just go into the University general fund.

 

The next regular meeting will begin at 1:30 p.m. on June 3, 2004 in Plaster Student Union room 313.


The meeting adjourned at 3:00 p.m.


Respectfully submitted:
Betty Lewis
Former Staff Senate Secretary taking minutes for Tami Sutton in her absence.