1. Call to Order - A regular meeting of the Staff Senate of Missouri State University was called to order at Plaster Student Union, Room 313 at 1:30 p.m.
2. Roll Call -
Present - John Avery, F. Chris Brown, Patrick Byers, Sara Clark, Belinda Davis, Ed DeLong, SuzAnn Ferguson, Mary Lynne Golden, Betty Lewis, David Liss, Lisa McEowen-LeVangie, Steve Mills, Fran Phillips, Edie Sartin, Myril Stewart
ABsent - Mark Barton, Chuck Donald, Lisa Reed, Alan Roland, Gary LR Smith, Chris Strodtman, Kelly Brown
Guests - Ron Boaz, Angie Cockrum, Phyllis Kenney
Mary Lynne Golden, Chairperson, presided and Edie Sartin recorded the proceedings of the meeting.
March minutes were approved.
3. Employee Handbook Resolution - Myril Stewart - Myril presented the Employee Handbook Resolution, which was voted on and passed after discussion. This resolution may be viewed at http://www.missouristate.edu/StaffSenate/Resolutions.htm Additional amendments were added, one to include the reference to explain the manpower codes and a section to explain the employee structure.
4. Issues and Concerns - Sara Clark - Sara Clark, Issues and Concerns Committee Chairperson discussed the upcoming Staff Senate survey. It will be postponed and revised. She asked for questions and any changes that might be made on the survey.
5. Equal Opportunity Committee Report - F. Chris Brown - F Chris Brown, Equal Opportunity Committee Chairperson reported that a meeting would be held on April 18, 2002 for the Equal Opportunity Advisory Commission and all subcommittees. Reports and recommendations concerning all non-discrimination policies on campus and grievance procedures will be discussed.
6. Faculty Senate Report - Myril Stewart, Steve Mills - Myril reported from the last Faculty Senate meeting that Faculty Senate would like to participate with the University in shared governance, and be part of all business decisions made with the University. They also support the resolution to change the University name.
7. Old Business - Lisa McEowen-LeVangie - Lisa presented the Short Term Disability Coverage Resolution, which was voted on and approved as amended. This resolution may be viewed at http://www.missouristate.edu/StaffSenate/Resolutions.htm. It was discussed that all employees need to understand their options. This coverage is not mandatory by the University and an employee facing a major illness would not have any coverage during a short-term period if you the decision to not purchase disability insurance or choose to participate in the voluntary contribution of sick leave days. Mary Lynne will present this resolution at the President's Cabinet Meeting on April 5, 2002.
8. New Business - Mary Lynne Golden - Mary Lynne presented a Staff Senate Resolution to collect donations for the family of Chris Dodson. This resolution was voted on and approved. The resolution may be viewed at http://www.missouristate.edu/StaffSenate/Resolutions.htm. Information will be posted in the Staff Senate Newsletter and Essential News and sent out to all departmental secretaries. Collections will be held from April 10, 2002 until April 24, 2002.
Patrick Byers discussed the upcoming Centennial Celebration of the University to be held during 2005. He asked for any ideas or suggestions.
David Liss discussed the review of the employee medical and dental insurance coverage, which will be up for bid this summer. It was decided to invite Howard Berriman from Human Resources to attend a Staff Senate meeting and talk with employees who have questions or concerns. Staff Senate will work on questions or suggestions to be presented at an upcoming meeting.
9. Announcements -
The next meeting of the Staff Senate will be held Thursday, May 2, 2002, at 1:30 p.m. in Plaster Student Union, Room 313.
A motion to adjourn was made, seconded and passed. Staff Senate adjourned at 2:45.