1. Call to Order - Konya Knackstedt called to order the regular meeting of Staff Senate at 1:30PM on March 4, 2010 in Plaster Student Union, 313.
2. Roll Call
Present - Konya Knackstedt, Tabitha Haynes, Cindi Barnett, Sandy Arthur, John Avery, Debbie Branson by proxy (Angie Pinegar), Debbie Casada by proxy (Susan Scott), Donald Clark, Corbin Campbell, Mike Frizell by proxy (Catherine Beck), Marian Green, Nadine Jones, Charles Klarr, Cathy McFall, Janelle Melton, Kate Mendenhall, Dale Moore, Erin Parrish, Dennis Perry, Terry Plank, Teresa Steele, Jamie Trussell, Lynette Walker, Kirk Whittington, Dixie Williams by proxy (Tracy Maxfield), and Mary Ann Wood.
Absent - Dale Moore, Kyle Yates, Chris Polley, Christopher Herr
Guests - Kelly Barnts, Beth Bruner, Sheila Morris, Peggy Preston, Kent Thomas, Paula Wilhelm
3. Approval of Minutes – The minutes of the January 7, 2010 and February 4, 2010 meeting were approved. A motion was made by Corbin Campbell; 2nd by Kate Mendenhall and approved by all.
4. Guest: Kent Thomas - Emergency Preparedness Grant
Kent Thomas, ERP Project Manager, presented on the University Emergency Preparedness training opportunities on our campus. The National Incident Management System(NIMS) provides a consistent nationwide approach for Federal, State, and local governments to work effectively and efficiently together to prepare for, respond to, and recover from domestic incidents. Courses for individuals based on their responsibilities during an emergency are available both online and in the classroom for Missouri State staff.
Additionally, through a partnership with the Springfield-Greene County Office of Emergency Management, CERT provides disaster preparedness training to community volunteer members and Hometown Ready participants. This training consists of a 20-24 hour course. Kent invited staff to participate in CERT training at no charge.
For more information and to register, contact Paula Wilhelm, Human Resources. If you participate in online classes, be sure to print off the completion certificate and send a copy to Human Resources for your training file.
5. Old Business
- Sick Day Pool – Kelly Barnts reported. The committee has looked at peer institutions. They spoke with the Director of Human Resources, Ed Choate, and was told that only sick leave, not vacation time, would be eligible. They are working on a proposal.
- By Laws Revisions – Cathy McFall reported. The final revisions were e-mailed to all members prior to the meeting. The main revisions are in the election process for senators and the establishment of a Membership Committee. Applications for open staff senate positions will be due by April 15. Cathy McFall made a motion to accept the revisions; 2nd by Jamie Trussel; Approved by all. The revised by laws will now go to Dr. Nietzel for approval.
Two additional members were added to the Membership Committee. Erin Parrish and Mary Ann Wood agreed to serve on the committee.
- Long Range Planning Steering Committee – The names forwarded to President Nietzel included:
Michael Frizell, Tabitha Haynes, Konya Knackstedt, Dale Moore, and Jamie Trussell. The committee members have not yet been announced.
6. New Business
- Announcement of new program: Facilities Management – This could be beneficial to staff who work in this field and they would be able to use tuition fee waivers to further their education.
- Resolution from Faculty Senate and SGA regarding Presidential Search Committee – It was brought to the attention of Staff Senate that both Faculty Senate and SGA presented resolutions to the Presidential Search Committee requesting additional members from their area be added to the committee. Konya stated that she had been told that Staff Senate did not need to present a resolution because the committee was already finalized. The staff representative on the committee is Bryan Hicks, Associate Director of Athletics. Since he is representing the staff on the committee, Konya will invite him to the April meeting.
7. Committee Reports
- Budget and Priorities – No report
- Denim Days – Teresa Steele reported. Missouri State was in the top 25 in fundraising for October 2009.
- Executive Committee – Konya Knackstedt reported. There was no meeting in February.
- Public Affairs – Tabitha Haynes reported. Leah Johnson is a new member.
- Public Relations – Konya Knackstedt reported. New employee Staff Senate welcome items need to ordered.
- Scholarship – No report
- Staff Activities – No report
- Website Administration – No report
Other Committee Reports:
- Tobacco Policy Education Campaign – Tabitha Haynes reported. The committee is working on a plan to education the Missouri State community about the changes in the policy.
- Faculty Senate Representation – Tabitha Haynes and Teresa Steele reported. Faculty Senate at their last meeting discussed at length the Presidential Search and indicated the Search Committee is willing to accept candidate suggestions and input. March 30 is the application deadline. Interviews will be in April. On March 1, the Retirement plan option ended with 41 requested retirements and 19 rehires.
- Public Arts Committee – No report
- Wyrick Commission – No report
8. Adjournment: Terry Plank made a motion to adjourn at 2:30PM. The motion was seconded by Cathy McFall and approved by all present.
Next meeting: April 1, 2010; 1:30PM; PSU 317