1. Call to Order - Konya Knackstedt called to order the regular meeting of Staff Senate at 1:30PM on January 7, 2010 in Plaster Student Union, 313.
2. Roll Call - Cindi Barnett, Secretary, conducted roll call.
Present: Konya Knackstedt, Tabitha Haynes, Cindi Barnett, John Avery, Debbie Branson, Debbie Casada by proxy (Leonard McGownd), Donald Clark, Corbin Campbell, Mike Frizell, Charles Klarr by proxy (Jay Jenkins), Cathy McFall, Janelle Melton, Dale Moore, Erin Parrish, Teresa Steele, Jamie Trussell by proxy (Kelly Barnts), Lynette Walker, Dixie Williams by proxy (Bart Tibbs), Kyle Yates
Absent: Sandy Arthur, Marian Green, Nadine Jones, Kate Mendenhall, Dennis Perry, Terry Plank, Kirk Whittington, Mary Ann Wood, Chris Polley (SGA), Christopher Herr (Faculty Senate)
Guests: Peggy Preston (College of Education), Sharon Lopinot (Greenwood)
3. Approval of Minutes - The minutes of the December 3, 2009 meeting were approved. Motion made by Dale Moore; seconded by Teresa Steele; approved by all members present.
4. Guest Speaker - Donald Clark – Energy Conservation Taskforce – Recyclemaina! This is a campus-wide competition from January 17-March 27. Containers will be on the 1st floor of all buildings. A reminder that all paper (colored, white, newspapers, and books) are accepted in the recycling containers. Check out the www.missouristate.edu/facilities for details on all recycling or contact David Vaughan, Director of Environmental Management.
5. New Business
- Resignation of Lisa Langston. This position will not be filled as we are over represented in the Support Professional area.
- A request for Staff Senate to approve a new staff organization “University Staff Ambassadors Alumni Association” was received. Motion by Teresa Steele to approve; seconded by Janelle Melton; approved by all members present.
- President suggested Staff Senate establish a Committee to research and develop a proposal for regarding a sick day pool. He requested comparisons of peer institutions and stated that only sick days could be utilized (no vacation days). Kelly Barnts volunteered to chair the committee. Dale Moore will also serve on the committee. If you are interested in volunteering for this committee contact Kelly.
- President Nietzel request a resolution from Staff Senate regarding how to use the “extra tuition funds” discussed in the November Town Hall Meeting. This discussion was tabled until the February 4 meeting when Dr. Nietzel could explain the options.
6. Committee Reports
- By Laws Revision Committee – Report by Cathy McFall. The committee has researched benchmark institutions and developed an application process for senators. This new process will be in place for spring and included developing a Membership Committee to review and select senators. Candidates must have supervisor approval to serve. The forthcoming chair-elect would be a part of the committee. They are also looking at changing the one year employment requirement needed prior to serving as a senator.
- Budget and Priorities – No report.
- Denim Days – Report by Teresa Steele. Denim Days raised over $7,000. Sponsors covered t-shirts. The schedule for next year will include another 5K race the Sunday before Denim Days and a Wednesday luncheon by Sodexho the week of Denim Days.
- Executive Committee – Report by Konya Knackstedt. Dr. Nietzel stated that vacation leave days could not be used for a sick leave pool. Staff Banquet is Friday, January 8. A letter was sent to all Staff Awards nominees and another to winners.
- Public Affairs – No report.
- Public Relations – Report by Konya Knackstedt. Senators are needed to sign up for Human Resources Orientation sessions.
- Scholarship – Report by Corbin Campbell. The Scholarship Foundation fund has a balance of over $1,500. Over $100 was made from the candle fundraiser. It was mentioned that we need to look for ways to promote the scholarship.
- Staff Activities – No report.
- Website Administration – No report.
Other Committee Reports:
- Faculty Senate Representation – Report by Teresa Steele. Discussion on if the pay is adequate for the new GEP101 course and if staff should teach. Also discussion on the faculty retirement proposal.
- Public Arts Committee – No report.
- Smoke Free Campus Advisory Committee – Report by Tabitha Haynes. The proposal was discussed at the Admin Council meeting on December 21, 2009 and approved with a few changes. From 2010-2012, smoking will be changes to designated areas. For questions, contact, Dr. Earle Doman.
- Wyrick Commission – Report by Teresa Steele. Three proposals were submitted.
- Presidential Search Committee – No announcement has been made at this time.
- Thursday, February 4 – President Nietzel will be present to discuss issues of concern. Please bring your ideas/suggestions or email to Konya.
- Friday, January 8 – Staff Awards Breakfast at 6:30am and 8:00am in PSU Ballroom.
8. Adjournment - A motion to adjourn was made by Debbie Branson and seconded by Lynette Walker.
Next meeting: February 4, 2010, PSU 313 at 1:30