What is Missouri State Alert?
Missouri State Alert is the University's mass notification system, which uses a variety of methods to contact students, faculty and staff in the event of an emergency or school closing. Depending on your subscription preferences, the system will contact you through text messages, emails and/or phone calls.
How does Missouri State Alert work?
During an urgent situation, the Missouri State Alert system will send an alert to each individual phone number and/or email address listed for your account.
- If the Missouri State Alert system can determine that successful contact was made (an email or text message was delivered, or a phone call was answered or sent to voicemail), no further attempts to contact that phone number of email address will be made.
- If delivery of a message is unsuccessful, the system will continue to attempt to contact that phone number or email address until successful delivery is made.
When will the University use the Missouri State Alert system?
The Missouri State Alert system will only be used in the following situations:
- Immediate threat/violent situation on campus
- Security alert
- University closings, early dismissal, delayed start
- Severe weather alerts
- Other emergency situations of an extreme nature
- Periodic testing of the system
The system will not be used for advertisements, marketing messages or to communicate campus or community events. Please note that notification about University closings will be sent as decisions are made, which may mean they are delivered early in the morning.
I received an alert. Where do I go for additional details?
I received a text message saying that I was automatically subscribed to Missouri State Alert, how do I update my preferences?
To update your preferences, please visit the Missouri State Alert preferences page. You may also update your preferences through My Missouri State (for Springfield) and My Grizzly Den (for West Plains).
- You will be able to choose between receiving text messages, phone calls and emails.
- You will also be able to add multiple phone numbers and email addresses, which allows you to sign family members and others up under your contact list.
The University strongly recommends that you provide Missouri State Alert with your direct, local contact information, preferably a cell phone number.
What is the best way to update my contact information?
You can visit Missouri State Alert at any time to change your contact preferences.
Updating through the Missouri State Alert system will not update your student record. We strongly encourage you to contact the office of the registrar in person or by email from your Missouri State email account to update your contact information. Once your information has been updated with the registrar, it will automatically be updated with Missouri State Alert.
For faculty and staff
Updating through the Missouri State Alert system will not update your University record. We strongly encourage you to contact the office of human resources to update your contact information by completing a contact information form. Once your information has been updated with human resources, it will automatically be updated with Missouri State Alert.
If you selected to use your Missouri State email address, office phone number or local phone number, that information will be automatically updated each weeknight to match what is in your University record.
Updating information not in your University record
If you would like to update additional email addresses or phone numbers not listed in your University record, please do so directly through the Missouri State Alert preferences page.
In my preferences, when I try to add a phone number for a voice call alert it won’t work, why?
When you enter a phone number for a voice call alert, you can not include any parentheses or dashes. Only include numbers. For example, you could input your phone number as 4178365000.
Will my contact information be shared with other University systems or third parties?
Your contact information will only be provided to the vendor supplying the Missouri State Alert system. The vendor will use this information to contact you with urgent notifications. Your contact information will not be shared with other University systems or anyone else.
How do I opt out of Missouri State Alert?
We strongly encourage that you do not opt out of all messages from Missouri State Alert.
- To opt out of Missouri State Alert text messages, you may reply “STOP” when you receive an alert. Please note that opting out of text messages does not stop you from receiving alerts by email or phone call.
- To add or remove email or phone-call alerts from your Missouri State Alert profile, please visit your Missouri State Alert preferences page.
I'm a member of the West Plains campus. Where do I sign up?
Visit the subscription page and select the option to sign up through My Grizzly Den.
Who sends Missouri State Alert notifications?
Use of the Missouri State Alert system on the Springfield campus may be authorized by the following individuals:
- Vice President for Administrative and Information Services
- Associate Vice President for Administrative Services
- Director, Department of Safety and Transportation
Use of the Missouri State Alert system on the West Plains campus may be authorized by the following individuals:
- Dean of Student Services
- Director of University Communications
- Coordinator of Student Life and Development
- Acting Dean of the College
Do I have to confirm receipt of the message?
No, you do not have to confirm receipt of the message. Missouri State Alert will determine that receipt of the message was successful if it is delivered.
What numbers and addresses will send the Missouri State Alert notifications?
- Phone calls:
- 417-836-8999 (Springfield Campus)
- 417-255-8076 (West Plains Campus)
- Text messages: 89361
- Safety@MissouriState.edu (Springfield Campus)
- WPUnivComm@MissouriState.edu (West Plains Campus)
If your subscription includes email notification, you should add the above email address to your safe senders list in your email client. This will ensure the alert messages don't end up in your junk email folder.
Will Missouri State test the system? How will I know what is a test?
The University strives to test the Missouri State Alert system each semester. The campus community will be informed before test notifications are sent.
If the message is a test of the system, it will be delivered with the subject line “TEST: Missouri State Alert.” Any message that does not include the word “test” is an urgent message. Urgent messages will carry subject lines such as “Emergency Alert,” “Weather Alert” or “Campus Advisory.”
Is there a charge for subscribing to Missouri State Alert?
The University does not charge a subscriber fee for Missouri State Alert. Subscribers are responsible for paying any fees associated with receiving the messages on their phones or computers.
What if I still have questions?
Please use our Missouri State Alert Comments form to ask additional questions.