APPLYING TO THE PROGRAM
The Religious Studies Master's Program follows a rolling admissions policy: application materials should be received by mid-July for students intending to begin the program in the fall semester and by early December for the spring semester. However, to be considered for a graduate assistantship position, students must submit their application materials by the end of January for the following fall.
In making admission decisions, the department's Graduate Committee considers evidence of the applicant's interest in the field of religious studies and his or her academic and professional potential, as well as the department's ability to meet the needs of the student.
- Satisfy departmental Master of Arts admission requirements (or Accelerated M.A. admission requirements), and Missouri State University’s Graduate College admission requirements.
- Apply and be admitted to the Graduate College, which includes submitting an application and $35.00 fee and having transcripts sent to the Graduate College. This must be done by the deadlines in the Graduate Catalog (scroll down to Application Deadlines and Fees) in order to avoid a late fee.
- Submit recent GRE scores if your GPA is lower than 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. GRE school code: 6665.
- Complete a departmental application form and email it with your statement of purpose to the Religious Studies Graduate Program Director Martha L. Finch, email@example.com. The statement of purpose should be 300 to 600 words describing 1) your background and interest in the field of religious studies and 2) why you wish to pursue a graduate degree in the Department of Religious Studies at Missouri State University, including future goals.
- We do not requuire letters of recommendation. However, if you feel they will strengthen your application, you may request up to three letters from your current professors. Letters should be sent as an e-mailed attachment from the recommender's institutional e-mail account to MarthaFinch@missouristate.edu.
The Graduate Committee typically reviews completed applications soon after their receipt. The Graduate Program Director will contact the applicant with a request for further information, if required, and our decision. The applicant will also receive an email and letter from the Graduate College.