Name Change

Op3.04-35 Name Change

Students are required to provide their official legal name at the time of application and to process official name changes while enrolled, as appropriate. Name change requests for applicants, current, and former students must be submitted in writing to the Office of the Registrar and will require documentation of the change. Requests may be made in person, via fax, or by mail. Mailed requests should be sent to: the Office of the Registrar, Room 320 Carrington Hall, Missouri State University, 901 S. National, Springfield, MO 65897. 
Documentation generally consists of new driver’s license, official state ID card, Social Security card, certified copy of marriage license, court order, dissolution decree, current passport or official proof of identity certified by U.S. embassy abroad or by the appropriate foreign embassy in the United States. Other forms of documentation may be considered on a case-by-case basis. When academic records are maintained on microfilm, the student’s name cannot be updated on the microfilm. Students who attended Missouri State University before 1985 have microfilm records. A change of student information form is available online.

Student name on diploma and university certificates

The student name listed on a diploma or certificate must match the official name on file at the University, with the following exceptions:

  • option of first name or initial;
  • option of middle name or initial;
  • inclusion of former or maiden name(s); and
  • inclusion of proper capitalization and accentuation of name.

Students indicate the desired diploma name on the Intent to Graduate form (undergraduate students) or Application for Graduation form (graduates students); and the certificate name on the Notification of Completion form. If you have any questions regarding changing your name, please contact the Office of the Registrar at 417-836-5520 or send an email to