In addition to satisfying all degree requirements below, students should be familiar with the University's Academic Policies and Procedures. Students are encouraged to consult with their academic advisor or the Office of the Registrar if they have questions regarding any of the Academic Policies. Note: these policies may change from year to year and such changes apply to all future, current, continuing, and returning students.
Components of a degree program
- The General Education Program is that portion of the curriculum in which the university addresses the knowledge, abilities, skills, habits, and dispositions of educated persons. All bachelor's degree candidates must satisfy the General Education Program Requirements.
- A major is the student's primary area of specialization. Majors are noted on the transcript and diploma. Many majors have options which are sub-sets of courses within the major that represent an even more specialized area of study. Students who select a major that has options must choose from one of the options (i.e., options are not optional.) Options are noted on the transcript but are not printed on the diploma.
- A minor is the student's secondary area of specialization. Minors are required for all non-comprehensive majors for the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees and are optional for all other degrees. Minors are noted on the transcript but are not printed on the diploma.
- The General Baccalaureate Policies and Degree Requirements include such requirements as total hours, upper-division, GPA, and residence requirements. All bachelor's degree candidates must satisfy the General Baccalaureate Degree Policies and Requirements.
- All Bachelor of Arts degree candidates must complete a 27-hour core of liberal arts courses.
- All Bachelor of Science in Education and Bachelor of Music Education degree candidates must satisfy all Teacher Education Program requirements.
- A degree is awarded when all requirements have been satisfied. The type of degree (e.g., Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Social Work) is noted on the transcript and diploma.
Appeal for Exceptions
Appeals for exceptions to requirements within the major or minor should be made to the department head of the major or minor.