September 29, 2005
Those attending were: Frank Einhellig, Chair, Dennis Hickey, Jim Baker, Michael Hignite, Peter Collins, Julie Masterson, Jane Doelling, D. Wayne Mitchell, Ryan Giedd, Elizabeth Rozell
Staff: Tami Sutton
The meeting began at 3:30 pm in PSU 317 with review and approval of the September 15 meeting notes.
After approval of the meeting notes, Dr. Einhellig took this time to impress on the group that he had met with Dr. Nietzel and that it would be very beneficial if the Task Force finish their work by December so that the Task Force Report could be incorporated in to the University's long-range plan.
The next item on the agenda was the discussion of the research cluster template that Dr. Baker developed at the request of Dr. Einhellig. After extensive discussion of the template, the decision was reached to have Dr. Baker modify the template to include the criteria developed by the Task Force, which are listed in detail in the September 15 notes.
Dr. Einhellig then led a discussion of the review of the faculty survey results. The Task Force asked that it be noted that they were all pleased with the number and quality of the faculty responses to the survey.
The Task Force continued their discussion of the faculty survey results by developing broad categories (clusters) based upon the responses. The following categories emerged from the discussion:
- Public Health
- Life Sciences
- Environmental Management
- Life-Span Studies
- Materials Science
- History and Cultures of the Americas
- International Studies
- Technology and the Arts
- Learning Disabilities
- Societal/Behavioral Issues
- Technology Development
- Agricultural Sciences
- Performing Arts
The list of clusters identified above was further discussed in detail and as a result of this discussion were then reduced to the following:
- Materials Science (Libby Rozell, Mike Hignite, Ryan Giedd)
- Entrepreneurialship (Libby Rozell, Mike Hignite, Ryan Giedd)
- Life-Span Behavioral Studies (Julie Masterson, Jane Doelling, D. Wayne Mitchell, Katie Hope, Mike Carlie)
- Public Health (Julie Masterson, Jane Doelling, D. Wayne Mitchell, Katie Hope, Mike Carlie)
- History and Cultures of the Americas (Dennis Hickey, Mike Carlie, Marc Cooper)
- International Studies (Dennis Hickey, Mike Carlie, Marc Cooper)
- Life Science (Chris Barnhart, Ryan Giedd, Dennis Schmitt, Frank Einhellig)
- Environmental and Water Quality (Chris Barnhart, Ryan Giedd, Dennis Schmitt, Frank Einhellig)
- Musical Theatre (Peter Collins, Wade Thompson, Julie Masterson)
- Technology and the Arts (Peter Collins, Wade Thompson, Julie Masterson)
Subgroups, as noted in the parentheses above, were established to (a) work toward getting the template information down on paper for each area, and (b) suggest the focus, or more than one focus, within the broad areas we now have.
The group did not think all the work would be accomplished by next week. However, they agreed to meet next Thursday to take the first half hour for the subgroups to refine what they had done, or not been able to get done, in the week period and then have some exchange of views and share the information that had been put together. It seemed conceivable that some of the broad areas listed above would result in further narrowing when the subgroups got into their discussions.
The next meeting of the Task Force will be Thursday, October 6 at 3:30 pm in PSU Ballroom East.