VA Education Benefits Cash Advance
Eligible students receiving VA education benefits may receive a cash advance through their My Payment Plan account. The maximum amount of such advance is half the applicable regular VA monthly housing allowance for the term at issue. Each eligible student may receive only one such advance per term. Advances will not be paid to students until after the first week of classes. Advances will not be permitted after the University receives notification that the first payment of VA education benefits for the term has been issued. Students receiving advances must repay such advances (plus interest) pursuant to the terms and conditions of their My Payment Plan accounts.
To be an “eligible student”, a student must:
- Have a VA Certificate of Eligibility on file with the University’s Office of Veteran Student Services;
- Be properly certified for VA education benefits (certification must be properly accepted by the VA) for the term in which an advance is requested;
- Be in good academic standing as determined by the University in its sole discretion;
- Have an active My Payment Plan account to which the cash advance may be applied;
- Be in good financial standing as determined by the University in its sole discretion; and
- Complete an application for VA education benefits cash advance through Veteran Student Services.
Students may apply for a VA education benefits cash advance by completing a VA Education Benefits Cash Advance Application and submitting it to the University’s Office of Veteran Student Services. The Office of Veteran Student Services will review the application, request and review additional information or documentation as appropriate, and determine whether to approve or deny the application. If denied, the Office of Veteran Student Services will notify the applicant of the decision. If approved, the Office of Veteran Student Services will notify the applicant and the University’s Office of Financial Services of the decision; and the Office of Financial Services will make appropriate arrangements to issue the cash advance to the student. The applicant may appeal the Office of Veteran Student Services decision by submitting a written appeal to the Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management within 14 days after receiving the decision.
Line of authority
Responsible administrator and office: Vice President for Student Affairs
Contact person in that office: Registrar
Presidential approval: March 17, 2014