Missouri State University

Request an Exception to University Housing Policy

ATTENTION:  If you are currently living in a residence hall, you must follow the procedure to request a contract breakage.

Missouri State housing policy:  

All single students under 21 years of age who have completed fewer than 30 hours of transferable credit are required to live in University housing.

All single students under 21 years of age who have completed fewer than 30 hours of transferable credit must have on file a completed Student Housing Contract and deposit or an approved Request for Exception to the University Housing Policy form, before enrolling in classes at Missouri State.  The Student Housing Contract is for the entire academic year.

Additional documentation:

Please review page 2 of the exception form (link below) for all required documentation that must accompany this request form.  All required documentation must be submitted before an exception request will be processed.  Additional verification applies for the following requests:

Commuting – Commuters are defined as students living with a parent or a grandparent within a 60-mile radius of Springfield.  If a student wishes to live with anyone other than a parent or grandparent (including siblings and relatives), a financial exception must be requested.

Please note that a parent must have their signature notarized on the form.  If living with a grandparent, a parent must still have a notarized signature on the form, and the grandparent must submit a notarized letter verifying the living arrangement and the address.

Enrolling in 6 credit hours or less during a semester – The student must obtain a waiver from the Department of Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services before being permitted to register for classes.  The student must remain enrolled in 6 credit hours or less during the entire semester.

Determined exempt through marriage or parenthood – A marriage or birth certificate is required.

Educational requirement – A letter from the Department Head is required, verifying the educational assignment (such as student teaching, study away, or internship).

Moving into a Greek Chapter House that is a member of IFC/Panhellenic – Minimum credit hour and GPA requirements are listed on page 2 of the exception form.  Students are required to live on campus for a minimum of two semesters (not including summer) before an exception to live in a Greek Chapter House will be permitted. A letter of recommendation from the House Corporation President or Chapter Advisor is also required. Executive positions within a Greek organization that require living in a Chapter House are not a reason to be given an exception to the Missouri State Housing Policy if a student does not meet the minimum standards (hours and GPA) of living in a Greek Chapter House.

Financial – The student must prove an extreme financial situation that would prevent the student from attending Missouri State if required to live in the residence halls.  The student must apply for Financial Aid through the Missouri State Financial Aid Office before a financial exception request will be considered.  Additional documentation is listed on page 2 of the exception form.

Medical – The student must prove a medical condition that requires special living accommodations that the residence halls cannot reasonably provide.  Exception requests due to medical reasons are determined by the Disability Resource Center (located in Plaster Student Union 405, 417-836-4192, DisabilityServices@missouristate.edu).  In order to request a medical exception, please submit the exception request form with appropriate documentation directly to the Disability Resource Center.  If an exception request for medical reasons is received by the Department of Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services, the request will be forwarded to the Disability Resource Center office.

Hours – If a student will have completed the minimum credit hours necessary to live off campus by August 1 for fall semester or by January 1 for spring semester, an exception request for “hours” will be approved once all verification of the completed credit hours have been received (i.e., copy of a transcript or grade card).

Other – For all “other” requests, the student must prove a need for which the residence halls cannot reasonably provide and requires special off-campus living arrangements.  Any documentation verifying the student’s need and why that need cannot be met on campus would be required.

Contract cancellation and deposit refund information:

All Student Housing Contracts must be canceled in writing.  A student who has an active Student Housing Contract may choose to cancel that contract via the exception form should the exception request be approved.

The Contract Cancellation box on the form provides two options for students with an active Student Housing Contract.  Students may choose to cancel their contract immediately upon approval of the exception request by marking the “Please Cancel” option.  Students may also choose to keep their contract active upon approval of the exception request by marking the “Please Keep Active” option.  By choosing to keep a contract active, the student’s contract will not be canceled by the Department of Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services until the student provides additional written cancellation.  If a student has an active Contract and there is no selection in the Contract Cancellation box, the Contract will remain active and binding until written cancellation is received.

The deadline for a returning student to cancel the Student Housing Contract and receive a deposit refund is June 1.  The deadline for a new student to cancel the Student Housing Contract and receive a deposit refund is July 1.  When an Exception request is approved, a student who has marked “Please Cancel any Student Housing Contract” will have his/her contract canceled effective the date the exception form was received by the Department of Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services.  A student who has marked “Please Keep Active” will have 10 working days from the date his/her exception request is approved to cancel his/her contract in writing, to also cancel the contract effective the day this office received the exception form.  Any cancellation request received more than 10 working days after an exception request is approved will result in the contract being canceled as of the date the written cancellation request was received.

The date of contract cancellation is used to determine what amount of the security deposit will be refunded (according to the terms of the Student Housing Contract).

Fill Out and Print Exception Form

(You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print the PDF documents.)