Employee Information Access Policy
An employee’s access to University information and computing resources, including e-mail access, is determined by an employee’s set of job related responsibilities.
- Additional access may be requested from the employee’s supervisor, and will be granted subject to the Computer Services departmental approval process.
Creation of an employee’s computer account and associated access rights occur when the University’s administrative business system (Banner) reflects an individual’s active status.
- Exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis by the Computer Services department.
- Employees who transition into a different set of related duties will have access rights re-evaluated.
The Office of Human Resources will notify the Computer Services department of resignations, end-of-contract situations, retirements, and other personnel actions via entries made into the University’s business administrative system (Banner). An employee’s right to access University information ends when the employee’s relationship with the University ends, except as outlined below.
- Employees who leave the University with emeritus status may retain email access. Email access for employees leaving the University without emeritus status will be removed 90 days after separation.
- Temporary suspensions of information access rights will be done on a case-by-case basis and coordinated by the requesting department’s administrator and the Computer Services department.
Reason or Purpose for Policy:
To protect the confidentiality, integrity, and accessibility of University information, potential employees must be screened for job suitability, and be provisioned with appropriate levels of access to perform their job duties.
Entities Affected by this Policy:
All entities contained in or under the direction of the Missouri State University system.
Line of Authority:
- Responsible Administrator and Office: Chief Information Officer (CIO)
- Contact Person in that Office: Information Security Officer (ISO)