TITLE Ranch Hand, Journagan Ranch
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 9415
CLASSIFICATION Exempt (Agricultural)
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Manager, Journagan Ranch
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Head, School of Agriculture
The Ranch Hand, Journagan Ranch performs general farm work as directed, such as operating and maintaining the operational condition of farm equipment, caring for livestock, mowing and baling hay, etc.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A high school education or the equivalent is required.
Experience: At least three years of experience working on a farm or ranch and performing work such as caring for livestock, fixing fence, cutting trees, mowing and baling hay, etc. Experience in operating and maintaining farm equipment, such as tractors, mowers, chain saws, etc. is required.
Skills: Must be able to read English language sufficiently to understand written directions for the proper mixture, use, and disposal/storage of chemicals, fertilizers, and similar products used in agricultural work. Skill in the proper operation and maintenance of farm machinery, tractors, tools, and agricultural equipment is required. Must know how to drive farm tractors. Skill in the use of an arc welder and cutting torch is preferred.
License: Possession of a Missouri driver’s license is required. Possession of a public pesticide operator’s license is preferred.
Effort: Requires the ability to work out-of-doors, year round, in all types of weather. Requires the ability to lift and transport fruit growing or agricultural supplies and equipment weighing up to 70 pounds on a frequent basis and up to 100 pounds on an occasional basis; prolonged walking and standing; frequent bending, stooping, kneeling, and reaching on a daily basis. Requires a full range of physical motion in order to operate manual, electrically-powered and diesel- or gasoline-powered farm machinery, tools, and equipment. Requires the ability to access areas that may only be accessible by climbing ladders. Must be able to move throughout the assigned area.
Other: The scope of the position requires exposure to and use of chemical compounds and other agricultural products which may be hazardous and cause injury if specific instructions regarding their mixture, application, use, and disposal/storage are not followed properly.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Performs tasks general farm duties as assigned by fixing fence, moving and baling hay, cutting trees, planting forage crops as directed, irrigating and applying fertilizer or chemicals as directed, and plowing, cultivating, and harvesting plantings.
2. Provides general care to livestock by feeding, providing directed health care, and assisting with breeding, calving, and selling animals.
3. Safely operates light vehicles and farm machinery such as pick-up trucks, tractors, riding mowers, plows, mowers, and disc harrows by obeying applicable traffic laws, following operator instructions, and wearing appropriate safety equipment such as goggles, gloves, or other protective clothing.
4. Safely operates various types of farm equipment such as post augers, post drivers, portable power tools such as gasoline-operated power tools, sprayers, trimmers, and chain saws, electrically-operated drills and saws, and gas or electrically operated welders by following operator instructions and wearing appropriate safety equipment such as goggles, gloves, or other protective clothing.
5. Applies chemicals used in farming and ranching properly and safely by following either written or verbal directions for mixing chemical compounds according to specifications, wearing prescribed protective clothing, masks, and rubber boots and gloves, applying the chemicals properly as directed on items designated for their use, disposing of residual chemical products as directed or storing them for future use, and recording the application of such chemical compounds.
6. Performs regular and directed field maintenance by mowing using riding mowers or tractors and gasoline-powered trimmers or chain saws, clearing brush, and setting up, adjusting, repairing, and cleaning irrigation systems.
7. Ensures that farm machinery, equipment, and tools are operational by performing routine and preventative maintenance and cleaning farm machinery, equipment, and tools and making minor repairs within demonstrated capability.
8. Maintains a positive image of the University by fostering good relationships with the surrounding community.
9. Contributes to the overall success of the Journagan Ranch and School of Agriculture by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Ranch Hand, Journagan Ranch is supervised by the Manager, Journagan Ranch and may assist in supervision of temporary workers on occasion.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES