TITLE Vice President for University Advancement
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 0085
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR President
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR President
The Vice President for University Advancement is the chief advancement officer for the University and advises the President on all matters pertaining to the management and operation of university development, alumni relations, as well as community and donor relations. The Vice President for University Advancement also serves as the Executive Director for the Missouri State University Foundation, a private nonprofit organization which raises funds to benefit the University. The Vice President has responsibility for the following administrative units and functions:
Development and Alumni Relations: University development, fund-raising, planned and deferred gifts, endowments and special gifts, alumni activities, publication of the Missouri State Magazine and Annual Report of the Foundation.
Kenneth E. Meyer Alumni Center: This 62,000 square foot office building, owned by the Missouri State University Foundation, houses numerous University offices and departments, including, but not limited to, the Office of Development and Alumni Relations. In addition, the Foundation leases space in the building to non-university entities.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Master's degree or ten years of professional experience is required.
Experience: At least five years of experience is required in progressively responsible positions in advancement, preferably development. Experience in all phases of fund-raising is required. Experience in other areas currently included under University Advancement is preferred. Experience in higher education is strongly preferred.
Skills: Strong oral and written communication skills are required. Excellent interpersonal skills are required. Management skills, in particular goal-setting, supervision, budgeting and evaluation, are required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Develops and maintains a properly coordinated program of university development and advancement by organizing the various departments of University Advancement in a logical, non-duplicative and efficient manner which best meets the work requirements of the division, monitoring work loads throughout the division and prioritizing staffing needs accordingly to assure success, and assuming ultimate responsibility for the units and functions included in University Advancement.
2. Ensures divisional support of the institutional mission of the University by reviewing and approving unit plans, goals, and objectives, designing systems of effective controls to guide work toward expected outcomes, and evaluating progress towards their accomplishment.
3. Facilitates the University achievement of its development goals and objectives by serving as the chief fund-raising officer for the University, directing a development strategy which includes annual fund campaigns, capital campaigns, special-need campaigns, and planned and deferred gifts, developing and maintaining positive relationships with alumni and donors, focusing effort toward and/or developing proposals for potential donors, and hosting/ sponsoring recognition presentations to key donors.
4. Advises the President, senior University administrative officers, and members of the Board of Governors on issues relating to university development and advancement by making presentations at meetings of the Board of Governors, and preparing reports, recommendations, findings and other correspondence as required.
5. Focuses on University fund-raising by serving as the Executive Director of the Missouri State University Foundation, the private nonprofit corporation which is the fund-raising entity of the University, and working closely with the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors to raise, invest, and budget in the most beneficial manner private contributions made to the Foundation in support of the University.
6. Promotes a positive image and positive external relations for the University by communicating and interacting with city, state, and other officials in matters related to University Advancement, and representing the President and the University in various community, state and regional activities designed to promote Missouri State University in particular and higher education in general.
7. Encourages high morale and the delivery of quality service by each employee within the Division of University Advancement through a leadership style which causes employees to strive enthusiastically toward the accomplishment of established goals and objectives.
8. Enables employees in the division to perform assigned tasks by assuming budgetary responsibility for all of University Advancement, coordinating the development of the annual budget, and retaining executive authority over all departmental budgets within the Division of University Advancement.
9. Supervises the day to day operation of the Kenneth E. Meyer Alumni Center and the staff hired to manage the facility by overseeing leases, income, expenditures, building management, maintenance, and custodial services.
10. Ensures that miscellaneous assignments related to University Advancement are completed in the best interest of the University by accepting and accomplishing tasks which are delegated by the President.
The Vice President for University Advancement reports to the President of the University, and in turn exercises supervision of the directors of the units within the Division of University Advancement.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JANUARY 2007