TITLE Assistant Coach, West Plains
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5697
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Head Athletics Coach
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Dean of Student Services
The Assistant Coach, WP is responsible for specifically designated aspects of the sport team, provides technical expertise in the fundamentals of the sport, teaches student-athletes the basics and assists the Head Athletics Coach in management of the team through recruiting, program development, fund-raising and promotional activities, and related assigned responsibilities. The Assistant Coach, WP guides and mentors student-athletes throughout the academic year and performs certain non-athletics assignments as may be required.
MMINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education:A Bachelor’s degree is required.
Experience:At least two years of experience in coaching at the intercollegiate level is required; however, extensive player experience at the collegiate level can be substituted for the coaching experience. Any coaching experience in a NJCAA Division I level program is preferred. Demonstrated knowledge of NJCAA rules and regulations governing recruitment, eligibility, and related functions is preferred. Public speaking experience is required.
Skills: Excellent interpersonal skills are required. Management and organizational skills are required. A record of inclusive conduct and evidence of multicultural skills in the workplace is required.
Other: A valid Missouri driver’s license is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Enables the achievement of a quality, competitive sport program and supports the educational goals of individual student-athletes by demonstrating a coaching philosophy which encourages those goals and promotes an environment conducive to both. Assumes responsibility for a particular aspect of the sport as assigned by the Head Coach, demonstrating technical expertise in the basics of the sport and teaching the fundamentals to student-athletes, assisting with recruiting activities, recommending the selection of team members, supervising practice sessions, providing guidance or mentoring to student-athletes throughout the academic year, and monitoring the academic progress of participating student-athletes.
2. Protects the integrity of the sport coached and the reputation of the intercollegiate athletics program of the University by complying with National Junior College Athletic Association rules and regulations as well as applicable University policies regarding recruiting activities, student-athlete eligibility determination, scholarships and financial aid programs, scheduled practice sessions, and related covered activities.
3. Reduces the likelihood of athletics-related injuries or the aggravation of such injuries during the practice sessions and scheduled contests by being knowledgeable of the injuries sustained in the sport and proper prevention methods, directing appropriate pre-training sessions and pre-contest preparations and warm ups, and referring injured student-athletes to qualified athletic trainers or sports medicine personnel.
4. Supports established athletics fund-raising goals by actively participating in fund-raising events and promotional activities for intercollegiate athletics.
5. Promotes a positive image of the intercollegiate athletics program and the University through participation in community and professional organizations, representing the University at professional meetings as required, and maintaining credible relations with various news media.
6. Participates as a member of the University community by teaching appropriate courses or class sessions, as assigned, and performing certain non-athletics duties as may be required.
7. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
8. Contributes to the overall success of the University’s intercollegiate athletics program by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Assistant Coach, WP receives direct supervision from the Head Athletics Coach and indirect supervision from other University personnel relative to non-athletics duties as may be required. The Assistant Coach exercises direct supervision of student assistants and students involved in the particular sport.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JUNE 2011