TITLE Technology Training Specialist
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5137
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Technical Training and Documentation Administrator
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Coordinator of User Support
The Technology Training Specialist develops, prepares, reviews, schedules, publicizes, and delivers training sessions and supporting materials on technology-related topics, including the Blackboard Learn academic Learning Management System (LMS), Ellucian Banner ERP system, and Microsoft Office 365 software and services for faculty, staff, and student employees of Missouri State University. The Technology Training Specialist functions as part of the Computer Services User Support unit to promote effective use of campus technology resources by working with the Technical Training and Documentation Administrator to develop electronic and printed communications, such as, websites, social media, mass emails, posters, handouts, newsletters, and other communication tools.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent is required; a Bachelor’s degree in Education, Communication, English, or and Information Technology-related field is preferred.
Experience: A minimum of two years of experience in instructional design, teaching, or in the development and delivery of support and training on technology-based topics is required. Experience creating, delivering, and maintaining training resource materials such as user guides, technical documentation, online resources, and marketing/promotional materials is required. Experience working with an academic LMS is required; experience supporting and providing faculty-oriented training on the Blackboard Learn academic LMS and related products is preferred. Experience supporting and training on the Ellucian Banner software suite and related products is preferred. Experience supporting and training on Microsoft Office 365 software and services is preferred. Experience supporting and operating training facilities or technology classrooms is preferred. Work experience in a higher education environment is preferred. Experience working in a help desk or customer service environment is preferred.
Skills: Excellent verbal, written, presentation, and instructional communication skills are required. Strong technical skills and current technical knowledge are required. The ability to work independently, use initiative, and make sound decisions is required. The ability to consistently multitask while accurately attending to detail is required. Effective customer service and interpersonal skills are required. The ability to train individuals possessing a wide range of technical knowledge and skills is required. The ability to operate, perform troubleshooting on, and understand multimedia presentation systems, other classroom media systems, and other classroom-related equipment is required. The ability to maintain confidentiality in regard to information processed, stored, or accessed by the systems is required. The ability to maintain confidentiality in regard to information processed, stored, or accessed by the systems is required. Knowledge of best practices in instructional technologies, online, blended, and face-to-face pedagogy is preferred. A demonstrable knowledge of web design principles and experience creating web pages is preferred. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Certifications: Training certifications such as Blackboard Certified Trainer, Microsoft Certified Trainer, and Comp TIA CTT+ are preferred.
Effort: This position connects cables which may require climbing ladders or working under desks and loads and unloads equipment such as furniture, printers, and computers and supplies such as paper, toner, and cleaning supplies from shelves up to five feet high. This position lifts and transports multiple items weighing less than twenty-five pounds (typically weighing less than ten pounds) on a daily basis and between twenty-five and fifty pounds about three times weekly. This position installs equipment and inspects whether it is working properly and inspects facility conditions for damage, theft, safety risks, and security.
Other: The scope of the position occasionally requires attendance and participation at evening and weekend activities and workshops. Occasional travel to workshops, seminars, and professional development and University events is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Ensures effective and efficient delivery of Computer Services’ training and documentation services by coordinating with Computer Services staff in performing training and documentation needs assessment and gap analysis, tracking faculty, staff, and student participation in training sessions, analyzing user satisfaction by gathering feedback and implementing a measurement process, and maintaining records on all session offerings, registrations, and attendance.
2. Ensures that students, faculty, and staff have access to quality training opportunities and resources on technical topics by developing, preparing, reviewing, scheduling, publicizing, and delivering training sessions and supporting materials, such as user guides, technical documentation, online resources, and other marketing/promotional and supporting materials.
3. Helps to ensure effective operation of the University’s academic LMS course management system (CMS) by planning and coordinating training and documentation with LMS users, Computer Services staff, the Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning, and other University departments and units.
4. Provides advanced technical support to faculty, staff, and students for the technologies trained upon by developing an in-depth knowledge and understanding of these technologies, and coordinating support efforts with the Computer Services Help Desk.
5. Assists in promoting the services and resources offered by Computer Services by working with Computer Services staff to develop informational pieces on Computer Services’ organizational structure, services, and initiatives using electronic and printed communications, such as, websites, social media, mass emails, posters, handouts, newsletters, and other communication tools.
6. Provides support for the effective operation of all technology in the Computer Services technology training centers by performing duties such as room scheduling, imaging of systems, and exercising system rebuilds as required.
7. Continually evaluates and recommends new technologies and methodologies that enhance the learning process, increase the availability of training options, and enhance the effectiveness of Computer Services technology training.
8. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and the development of skills to engage with those of other cultures and backgrounds.
9. Remains competent and current through self-directed reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Coordinator of User Support Services.
10. Contributes to the overall success of Computer Services by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Technology Training Specialist is supervised by the Technical Training and Documentation Administrator and supervises assigned graduate assistants and student workers.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED OCTOBER 2015
JOB FAMILY 3
Factor 1: Educational/Experience Requirements of the Job
Level 7 - 1379 Points: A combination of education and experience equivalent to a Level 7 as indicated by the Equivalencies Chart, when permitted by the Minimum Acceptable Qualifications.
Factor 2: Supervisory Responsibility
Level 3 - 897 Points: Regular but limited supervision and training of small numbers of student or part-time workers is required where the nature of supervision is largely confined to scheduling work and/or assigning tasks. Supervision at this level may also involve directing the work assignments of one or more full-time employees, but supervision typically does not include a full range of supervisory responsibilities, and the supervisory duties typically do not consume a large portion of the work day.
Factor 3: Skill, Complexity, and Technical Mastery
Level 5 - 1600 Points: Knowledge of information technology methods and procedures applicable to several types of work processes. Knowledge permits the employee to carry out work assignments where the objectives are clearly identified and can be accomplished by adapting precedents and established practices.
Factor 4: Budgetary Control
Level 2 - 386 Points: Individuals in jobs at this level actively document, monitor, and control expenditures. At this level incumbents may recommend minor expenditures but have no real authority over budgets.
Factor 5: Work Environment and Physical Demands
Level 1 - 25 Points: The work environment has only everyday discomforts associated with an office or commercial vehicle. The work area is adequately lighted, heated or cooled, and ventilated. Work is largely sedentary involving mostly sitting with occasional walking, standing, bending, or carrying of small items. No special physical demands are required of the work.
Factor 6: Work Impact and Effect
Level 2 - 1620 Points: Work products or services impact the accuracy, reliability, or acceptability of further processes or services. Work activities may be complex, but normally involve addressing conventional problems or situations with established methods to supply departments, programs, classes, or units with information, software, or equipment they use to perform their work. Improperly performed work and/or equipment or software failures affect performance, create delays, and/or otherwise affect the welfare of programs or individuals. While improperly performed work and/or equipment or software failures have significant effects, the effects are more often inconvenient rather than severe and impact relatively few people. Improperly performed work and/or equipment or software failures are normally correctable in the short-to-medium term with relatively minor costs and delays, but emergency repairs are typically unavailable.