TITLE Director of the Honors College
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1045
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Provost
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR President
The Director of the Honors College is responsible for administration, curriculum, and recruitment of faculty and students for the Honors College. The Director serves as chair of the Scholarship Committee and serves on the SOAR committee. The Director works with the Honors Committee in formulating policy for the College.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education A terminal degree is required.
Experience Tenure at the Associate or Professor rank is required. Experience in advising students is required. Experience teaching UHC 110 and general education honors courses is preferred.
Skills Effective interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills are required. Organizational ability is required. Evidence of research on creative works is required. Experience in mentoring student research on creative activities is preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Creates an inviting atmosphere for students and faculty by administering the Honors College office in a customer-friendly, service-oriented manner.
2. Manages the Honors College by administering the budget, assisting in the recruitment of new students, recruiting faculty to teach UHC 110 and the general education Honors courses, and recruiting faculty and honor students to become involved in undergraduate research projects or creative works.
3. Supports the Honors College and its students by assisting with the advisement of undeclared honors students, representing the needs of high achieving students to the Scholarship Committee, and working with the SOAR Coordinator to process the Honors College freshmen through the Honors SOARs and subsequent SOAR sessions.
4. Maintains a half-time role of teaching, research, or some combination of both in the home department which includes teaching a section of UHC 110 each Fall semester.
5. Contributes to the overall success of the Honors College and the Office of the Provost by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Director of the Honors College is supervised by the Provost and supervises clerical staff, teaching assistants, and student workers.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES MARCH 2006 TEACHING