2427 Assistant Program Director, Nurse Anesthesia Program
TITLE Assistant Program Director, Nurse Anesthesia Program
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 2427
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Program Director, Nurse Anesthesia Program
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Head, Biomedical Sciences
The Assistant Program Director assists the Program Director in the daily operations of the Master of Science in Nurse Anesthesia Program and assists in assuring compliance with the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Program’s Standards and Guidelines. The doctorally-prepared Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) who is experientially qualified to assist the program administrator and if required, assume leadership responsibility for the program. The Assistant Program Director serves as designee for the Program Director and teaches classes as assigned.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: An appropriate master’s-level degree in nursing from an accredited institution of higher education is required. A Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia Practice (DNAP), a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP), or a PhD in Nursing from an accredited institution of higher education is preferred, and required by 2018.
Experience: Administrative and leadership experience is required.
Certifications/Licensure: Current certification or current recertification by the National Board of Certification and Recertification for Nurse Anesthetists (NBCRNA) is required. A current unencumbered license or privilege to practice as a registered professional nurse (RN) and/or Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) in the state of Missouri is required or must be obtained by the date of employment.
Skills: The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assists in ensuring compliance with the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Program’s Standards and Guidelines.
2. Assists the Program Director in reviewing student applications and communicating with applicants regarding the application process.
3. Conducts interviews with applicants as part of the admissions committee.
3. Assists the Program Director in coordinating the clinical program of graduate students, including scheduling with clinical instructors during the orientation process, determining student sites, and evaluation of clinical sites.
4. Organizes and prepares students for pre-clinical orientation.
5. Performs clinical and didactic evaluation of students.
6. Promotes instructor development.
7. Serves as assistant administrative advisor for all nurse anesthesia students.
8. Prepares and teaches assigned classes to first-year students, prepares and administers exams to first-year students, and assists with all case conference classes.
9. Assists the Program Director in coordinating activities and committees to ensure stated program goals are achieved.
10. As directed by the Program Director, communicates with the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Programs, the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists (AANA), and faculty.
11. Participates in University committees and attends the AANA Assembly of School Faculty meetings.
12. Contributes to an environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
13. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed and demonstrates knowledge of environmental issues that influence the program and nurse anesthesia practice by engaging in professional development.
14. Supports the Nurse Anesthetist Program by performing all other duties as assigned; clinical time may not encumber program time, minimum 0.5 FTE.
The Assistant Program Director, Nurse Anesthesia Program is supervised by the Program Director, Nurse Anesthesia.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES