What is risk management and insurance?
Businesses today face many different risks – investing money, buying equipment, hiring people and more. Risk management and insurance professionals help businesses identify and understand their risks. These professionals also help businesses minimize loss due to risk.
Why study risk management and insurance at Missouri State?
- Our program – one of only 52 in the nation – has strong support from the insurance industry with numerous scholarships available to you.
- We can help you get in touch with employers who are looking for interns and potential employees in the insurance field. Many of our professors continue to connect their students with job openings to help them find work after graduation.
- Our program has an advisory board made up of professionals within the risk management industry, ensuring that our curriculum is relevant and up-to-date.
- Many students who graduate from our program complete one or more insurance certification exams prior to graduation. These examinations and the experience of preparing for them can build your resume and prepare you for your future in the insurance industry. Many of our students have been known to receive multiple job offers upon graduation.
The Baker Chair of Insurance
The Baker Chair of Insurance, the first endowed academic chair at Missouri State, was activated in 1997 with the appointment of the first chair holder, John E. Patton, associate professor of insurance. The current chair holder is Dr. Stanley R. Adamson. The mission of the Baker Chair of Insurance is as follows:
- To perpetuate the operation of the Missouri State insurance education program
- To facilitate and promote high visibility for the Missouri State program
- To promote and conduct insurance research and education programs
- To contribute to raising additional funds for the chair endowment
The risk management and insurance academic program, including The Baker Chair of Insurance, owes a great deal to the late William G. and Retha S. Baker. The Bakers made significant gifts to fund the Chair of Insurance. Additional financial support from individuals and risk management and insurance organizations enabled the chair to be activated in 1997. Earnings from the Baker Chair of Insurance Endowment are utilized to promote and enhance the program for students. Today, the program includes the Baker Chair Endowment, plus many scholarships dedicated to risk management and insurance majors and minors.