Missouri State University

Transfer Student FAQ

Frequently asked questions

Listed below are the most commonly asked transfer student questions. For even more frequently asked questions and helpful answers, view our Admitted Student FAQ.

Who is considered a transfer student?
Any student who has completed at least 24 hours of credit after high school from a regionally accredited college or university prior to starting at Missouri State who has at least a 2.00 cumulative grade point average. College courses completed while in high school cannot be counted toward the 24 hours, but may count toward the degree program you choose to pursue at Missouri State.

Students who have completed fewer than 24 hours of credit after high school will have to request that their high school send Missouri State a final transcript showing their graduation date, final class rank/GPA and ACT scores.

What if a student has an Associate of Arts degree?
Missouri State will honor an AA degree from any regionally accredited college or university, including private institutions in Missouri and public and private institutions in other states. Students with an AA degree from such institutions will be exempt from the Missouri State general education requirements, but may need to complete specific required general education courses depending on their degree program.

What if a student has an Associate of Science or Associate of Applied Science degree?
In most cases, AS and AAS degrees do not meet lower division general education requirements, and courses are evaluated on an individual basis. Students interested in a Bachelor of Applied Science in Technology Management or General Agriculture may contact their department for details on how an AS or AAS transfers to these degree programs.

What if a student transfers with the Missouri 42-hour block?
Students who are certified by a participating Missouri institution as having completed an approved 42-hour general education block will be considered as having fulfilled the Missouri State 42-hour general education block. Contact your current institution for details.

What if a student transfers without a degree?
If you transfer to Missouri State without either an Associate of Arts degree, bachelor’s degree or a completed Missouri 42-hour general education block, you’ll have your transcript evaluated on a course-by-course basis. The results of this evaluation are available to you once you have been admitted to the University under your academics tab on your my.missouristate.edu portal. Questions regarding these evaluations can be answered in the transfer guide or by contacting the Office of Admissions.

When should I apply?
You may apply for admission up to one year prior to transferring to Missouri State. You should consider applying early in your last semester at your current institution.

What is needed for the application process?

  • A one time $35 application processing fee
  • Transcript(s) from all colleges and universities from which you have earned academic credit, including dual credit.

How will my classes transfer?
Missouri State awards credit for courses taken through institutions accredited by a regional accrediting agency. Missouri State course equivalencies are established by the academic departments. Missouri State maintains a list of courses from many institutions. There is no limit to the number of credit hours you may transfer.

How can I check my admission status?
Access the Check my Application Status Web page.

Is campus housing available?
All single students under the age of 21 with fewer than 30 hours of credit are required to live in campus housing. A student who lives at his or her parent’s permanent address within a 60-mile radius from Springfield must complete a Request for Exception to the University Housing Policy before registering for classes. The Office of Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services offers a wide variety of accommodations and living environments. Missouri State For off-campus housing options, contact the Office of Student Retention Services.