About Missouri State
Missouri State University is a public, comprehensive university system with a mission in public affairs. Our purpose is to develop fully educated persons with a focus on ethical leadership, cultural competence and community engagement.
The Missouri State University system has four physical campuses:
The main campus in Springfield, Mo.
Offering two-year associate's degrees
Focusing on fruit science and agriculture research
In partnership with Liaoning Normal University
Apply now to become a Missouri State Bear.
Specialize your application with this guide for future students.
Schedule a visit, explore a campus map, get directions and more for your campus tour.
Discover digital resources to maroonify your MSU experience.
By the numbers
The Missouri State community includes:
- More than 24,000 students in the Missouri State system making it the second largest university in the state
- Six academic colleges, one School of Agriculture and one Graduate College
- Almost 4,000 faculty and staff members with 90 percent of full-time ranked faculty holding the most advanced degree in their field
- 4,000 students living in University housing
- 1,500 international students studying on the Springfield campus
- 17 NCAA Division I teams with 55 NCAA championship appearances
- More than 110,000 alumni applying their education around the world
Profile of a Bear
- Represent all 50 states and 85 foreign countries
- Study in one of our 85+ undergraduate majors leading to 185+ academic options or 90+ graduate degree programs
- Participate in nearly 300 student organizations and more than 25 fraternities and sororities
- Play about 20 intramural sports
- Receive more than $150 million in financial aid with 75 percent of students receiving some form of assistance annually
- Volunteer more than 420,000 hours per year at government and nonprofit organizations through the Campus Volunteer Center, cooperative education and service-learning
- Earned an average ACT score of 24.1, state and national averages
- Held an average high school grade point average of 3.59
- Placed in the top half of their high school classes (83.5%)
Missouri State spirit includes:
Maroon and white
Bears and Lady Bears
Boomer Bear and Growl Bear
A day to wear MSU gear
Supports our teams
- Recipient of the 2014 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award
- Named to America’s Top Colleges list by Forbes magazine
- Received Best in the Midwest distinction from The Princeton Review
- Ranked among Best Colleges: Regional Universities (Midwest) by U.S. News & World Report
- Named Military Friendly School by G.I. Jobs magazine
- Selected as a Carnegie Foundation Community Engaged University
- Listed on the President's Roll for Higher Education Community Service
- Issued a Silver rating in the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment and Rating System
- Ranked as having one of the best online education options by Affordable Colleges Foundation