What to do in case of overdose on drugs or alcohol:
CALL 911 or Emergency Room:
- Mercy Hospital - 417-885-2115
- Cox Medical Center South - 417-875-2823
- Cox Medical Center North - 417-269-3193
Do not leave the person alone. Turn the victim on his/her side to prevent choking in case of vomiting.
If you live in a residence hall tell a staff member that there is an emergency.
WARNING SIGNS OF ACUTE ALCOHOL POISONING:
(Do not wait for all the signs to be present)
- person is unconscious or semiconscious.
- person has cold, clammy, pale or bluish skin
- slow breathing (less than 8 breaths per minute)
- irregular breathing (10 seconds or more between breaths)
- no response to pinching the skin
- vomiting while passed out, and not waking after vomiting
If any of the above symptoms exist, call 911 immediately.
If you have any difficulty coping after the emergency, contact the Counseling Center.
SoBEAR: Bears in Recovery is a student-led group dedicated to assisting students as they live a life in recovery. SoBEAR provides students with 12 step support group meetings, alternative sober activities, service work/community engagement, and a positive presence on the University campus as well as a safe and nonjudgemental community. Learn more.
More information is available on the following websites: