The Diabetes Workshop is for anyone with diabetes and prediabetes or anyone else who has a special interest in diabetes such as a caregiver or a family member of someone with diabetes.
This workshop includes 6 classes, one hour each. A personalized meal plan will be provided for each participant. The workshop will include a variety topics presented with PowerPoint presentations, guest speakers, in-class demonstrations and hands-on activities.
Topics to be discussed throughout the Diabetes Workshop:
Class 1 - What is Diabetes?
- Understanding diabetes
- How diabetes medications (including insulin) work
- Monitoring blood sugar – When to test and what the results mean
Class 2 - Eating with Diabetes
- Carbohydrate versus calorie counting
- How to plan meals and snacks, including meal and snack ideas!
- How to prioritize information on Nutrition Facts label - Bring your food packages from home.
- What to order at a restaurant, including "Best Picks" - Bring a menu from your favorite restaurant.
Class 3 - More on Eating with Diabetes & How Exercise Helps
- Recipes and what to eat
- How to eat what you love and still control your blood sugar
Class 4 - Living With Diabetes
- Recognizing and treating hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- Causes & preventing hyperglycemia (high blood sugar)
- Caring for your feet
- What to do on sick days
Class 5 - Complications of Diabetes
- How having diabetes impacts your overall health
- What to look for and what health tests to have on a regular basis
- How to prevent diabetes complications
Class 6 - Putting it All Together
- "Participants Choice" review session - YOU choose what you want to learn more about.
- How to find support
- Troubleshoot problems & know your resources
- Set SMART goals
No sessions for this program are currently scheduled. Check back soon for additional updates.
Questions? Contact Ben Hunt at BenHunt@missouristate.edu.