Note: most social media user accounts created on behalf of a University unit will require an email address during signup. Ensure that the address used is not a personal email address (for example: John_Doe@yahoo.com) but is either a communal account that can be shared by other members of your University unit (for example: email@example.com) or your BearPass Email (for example: JohnDoe@missouristate.edu).
In order to create a Facebook page for your University unit, you should first have a personal Facebook account set up. If you don't, visit Facebook to create an account.
Creating your Facebook page
Official Missouri State University Facebook pages must be created in conjunction with a Facebook profile which is associated with a specific person. The following guidelines should be implemented for all Missouri State Facebook pages:
- The title of the page should always include the words "Missouri State University." For example: “Missouri State University Alumni Association.”
- Official pages have designated administrators within the originating University unit.
Follow these steps to create your page
- Navigate to Create a Page
- Specify the category for your page. Depending on the function of your page and the nature of the University unit you represent, you should choose an appropriate category.
- Choose a name for your page. Again, the title or name should always include the words "Missouri State University."
- Check that you agree to the Facebook Pages Terms and click on the Get Started button.
- Now follow the step by step instructions to add a profile picture, an about section, and create a custom URL for your page.
Facebook profile pictures
When you are creating new or modifying existing profile pictures, you should remember that Facebook profile pictures:
- Should be 180 x 180 pixels in size
- A small version of this profile picture will be scaled down for your news feed and page views. Ensure that these smaller versions of your profile picture are not being cut off on any of the sides in these different views.
- It’s best if the thumbnail can be a simple, recognizable portion of the profile picture where any text is not cut off and easily read (or completely excluded). A simple image without any extraneous text works best.
The user who initially creates a Facebook page is the administrator of that page by default. Facebook does allow multiple administrators on a page, however.
To add additional administrators to your Facebook page:
- First ensure that the user who is the page administrator is friends on Facebook with any other users who they wish to add as administrators to that page.
- At the top of your page, click on the Edit Page button.
- Select Admin Roles from the drop-down menu.
- Type in the name of the person you would like to add as an administrator to your page.
Additional page resources
Please visit the Facebook Help Center for more information on setting up and managing your new page.