Missouri State University offers 12 unique living learning communities intended to build community among students with similar interests.
Bears for Sustainability students will become environmentally responsible citizens through education and community outreach opportunities that promote sustainability. Join the green movement by committing to live sustainably and creating positive environmental change locally and globally.
This LLC is offered to first-year and returning students.
Experiences that students have as part of this community:
Network and Connect
- Plant organic fruits and vegetables in the Campus Garden
- Spelunking/Caving in any of our region’s caves
- Shop the local Farmers Markets with friends
- Camping/Canoeing/Kayaking/Hiking Trips
- Explore our Nature Center’s walking trails and conservation center
- Visit our local Greene County Parks: Nathanial Greene Botanical Gardens, Sequiota, Phelps Grove etc.
- Book Club – reading about the current trends as a group
Explore the Sustainable Accomplishments of our Campus
- Tour the Power House on campus, where you will get an exclusive tour and walk through the tunnels underneath campus while learning about our campus power usage.
- Take a behind the scenes tour of composting in the dining centers
- Tour of our Recreation Center highlighting the LEED design
- Campus Walking Tree Tour
- Karls Hall Campus Greenhouse - tour of current science experiments that our Missouri State University students are researching
- Tour of Darr Center which includes sustainable farming practices and a tour of the LEED certified conference center
Discover Sustainability in Springfield
- Visit the City Utilities Solar Farm, the largest in Missouri – located right here in Springfield
- Take a tour of Jordan Creek, our local watershed
- Visit the methane recapture facility at the local landfill
- Behind the scenes tour of the city’s recycling center
- Experience the Springfield Discovery Center - highlighting the LEED design and sustainability themed exhibits
- Springfield Underground Tour – learning how the city of Springfield uses caves for storage in a temperature controlled environment
- Askinosie Chocolate – see first-hand how sustainability is interwoven into a business model while sampling coco
- Visit our local Art Museum – view the landscape exhibit or other current artwork
Be the Change and Leave your Legacy
- Participate in campus programs including: Ecopalooza, Recyclemania, Campus Conservation Nationals
- Get involved in sustainability focused student organizations
- Sit on our Departmental Sustainability Committee
- Join the Sustainability Commission, where you will vote on proposals to the Sustainability Fund.
- Write proposals for the Sustainability Fund – any student can write a proposal and present it to the Sustainability Commission
- Become a Student Recycling Coordinator in the residence halls
- Take a leadership role regarding sustainability in SGA, such as Chief Sustainability Commissioner or Director of Sustainability
- Become an SGA Senator and join the Sustainability Committee
- Be engaged with our community helping with trail restoration, trash pick-up/Adopt-a-Street or Stream, garden tending, etc.
Learn more about the Living Learning Communities at Missouri State University!